Need new tires

kknobl

Anyone have recommendations for good tires for a 93 Grand Prix LE?

Right now it has Dunlops on it (two of which have slow leaks - damn PA roads and their potholes), but I know they can be expensive. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Kevin

Throw us a freakin bone here, what is your tire size?

Yokohoma touring tires is what I use and so do several of my friends. They are consistantly well rated on a website I have researchjed tires on... and i am happy with them. My brother got another type of yokohoma tire, and they are fine too.

I hate goodyears and run in horror of firestones.

I had some goodyear eagle tires that were too flexy and allowed the car to track like mad. Very stressful driving at 75 on the interstate. And firetone tires, IMO, seem to dryrot quicly and don't feel safe to use. My bros car came with firestone tires, they were out-of-round, rotted, and it was all over the road. I barely made the drive to the tire store.

http://www.Tirerack.com has good tire info, type in your tire size... and do some research.

i've run a whole slew of tires on my z34

the eagle RS/As were the best i ever had, for the day or 2 that i had them on the car before someone slashed them. however with goodyears, they seem to be poorly ballanced, and need alot of weight to make them right,

i had eagle GAs as well, they were prety good, nothing to write home about.

the coopers i ran were WAY too soft, but decent tires

i had a few sets of firestone affinitys that were decent, once again nothing special though.

i'd love a set of michelin piolits, or some continental contiEXTREMEcontacts.

however when i get new tiers i would really like to find a set of Eagle GT+4s, but if not i'd take some RS/As again.

I have Coopers tires on the front of my Lumina. I love them and when it comes time to replace all 4 (BF's in the back) I will replace them with Cooper tires again.

They may be a little soft if you like to do alot of high performance driving, but since my POS can't go very fast it's okay for me.

The Coopers do very good in winter too. I outperform my friend on ice, and he was ice tires on his car :lol: . Though in snow they take a bit to dig down, they eventually will get going, I can't get stuck unless I purposely try to.

The BFs in the back are pretty bald. Those tires are fucking hard rubber and I belive them to be quite old lol.

In my opinion I like Cooper tires...especially if you like to run all seasonals instead of summer/winter tires.

I went from the Goodyear Eagle ga's to Goodyear American Eagles....

They have all sucked. But I expected that. I bought em cause they were cheep, and they are going to be my winter only tire.

My 18"'s will get Toyo Proxies I'm think'n....

Had Uniroyals on my Lumina...they were pretty good.

Switched over to (free) Yokohama Geolander H/T's... grip good but suck for longevity.

Go Cooper or BFG. Dunlops are good but are kind of pricey.

Right now for my winter tires I have dunlop's. Pretty good tire for the winter, no doubt. But for the summer I have michelins. Personally Ive never had a problem with them and would suggest to any. Yes they are a little on the pricey side, but the old michelins I had were like a 65,000 mile tire that ended up going about 80,000 miles and still had some tread left on them. If your looking for like a sport tire, michelin also makes great tires for that. But liek I said, a little on the pricey side but you know what your getting though

BF Goodrich Traction T/A is what I would get...They are directional but get very good traction in all conditions and have a good treadwear rating...they are also quiet.

We have some super pricey michilens that have to be almost new on our convertible and they seem to take the "flatspot" shape if the car sits for a couple of weeks. Then they vibrate...

We have some super pricey michilens that have to be almost new on our convertible and they seem to take the "flatspot" shape if the car sits for a couple of weeks. Then they vibrate...

Ive never had that problem. What model michelins do you have on the car?

Anyone have recommendations for good tires for a 93 Grand Prix LE?

Right now it has Dunlops on it (two of which have slow leaks - damn PA roads and their potholes), but I know they can be expensive. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Kevin

yea seriously...i live in lower montgomery county...

I would suggest Bridgestone Turanza's or Potenza's. I've had a set of Turanza's on my cutty for about 3 years and they're holding up well. They also do well with the snow and ice we get around here in the winter, and the dry traction is great too.

they are like MVX4s or something...i remember looking them up and they were pricey tires

These?

http://michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinMX4.html?tiretype=0&tire=3

I have the Harmony on my car and I really cant complain one bit about them. But I have noticed on all the michelins, the tread is kinda soft which give it the "A" traction.

I used to deliver pizza so I have been through at least 12 sets of tires on about 4 different vehicles in about 4 years (family business). Here is what LUCK (and I stress this) I have had.

Cooper tires - Piss poor will never buy another set (bad personal experience)

Dunlop - As a young driver I drove over a curb and cut about a 1/4" of tread out of the side wall and still got the whole life out of the tires, but were very noisy.

Goodyear - would not give you their weight in pennies for a set.

Firestone - Pretty good all season tire and are a fairly reasonable price for what you get. My dad swears buy them but I think he's a little crazy.

Kuhmo - Current set on my Grand Am and for the 350 I paid for a set of 4 low profile tires their handling is excellent in all weather here in Ohio. They have approx. 15000 mi on them and have actually worn better then the manufacturer said they would.

Dayton - came on the grand am. not a bad tire but too much money for what they were IMO. We put a set on my Step-father's Silverado and they are pretty good.

BF Goodrich - GREAT TRUCK TIRES, but car tires ahhhhhhhh I've bought better with the same amount of money

Michelin - Just put a set of Harmony's on the Cutlass - they're really great as far as the handling and ride but I wouldn't give em too much hell. As far as tires go I have probably had the best luck with michelin and their warranty from the factory is top notch.

Just my opinion though :D

i'm sorta debateing against getting a set of continentials for the z34, i have some on the back of the camaro and they seem to handle very nice, but i want to see how fast they wear out.

how i wish i could get another set of pireli dragos :cry:

just watch with the Continentals, the tread separates and the tire effectively goes out of round when they wear down. I've seen so far 3 sets of Continentals do this at my job, and I'm only there part time. They all had around 3-5/32 of tread left so they weren't THAT bad, but the separation made them useless. As for the chinese tires, well, try them out and let me know. I'm going for a set of Coopers for myself since I've sold many, many sets and NEVER had a complaint on them or any problems.

Thanks much for all your help. It looks like I'll go with either BF Goodrich (had them on my Buick and never had any issues) or Michelin's.

Hopefully I'll get around to replacing the tires this weekend...

Kevin

just watch with the Continentals, the tread separates and the tire effectively goes out of round when they wear down. I've seen so far 3 sets of Continentals do this at my job, and I'm only there part time. They all had around 3-5/32 of tread left so they weren't THAT bad, but the separation made them useless. As for the chinese tires, well, try them out and let me know. I'm going for a set of Coopers for myself since I've sold many, many sets and NEVER had a complaint on them or any problems.

x 2 Continentals don't live a full life :(

http://michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinEnergyMXV4Plus.html?tiretype=2&tire=4

those are the tires on our vert...i'd still take the traction T/A's...they are the #1 rated tire on tire rack! lol

My parents have those on my sister's VW Golf, and my Mom's Subie Outback. They seem to really like them on both, but they noticed the most difference on the Golf b/c it had some really shitty stock Michellin tires. I'd say that they'd be a good choice.