Auto Detailing Tips

Kaline

i wouldn't use the car soap for the wheels. the brake dust and stuff could get transfered onto your paint and scratch, or vice versa

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Euro

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• 97loudcut

• slick

When washing my car I first fill the bucket up with soapy water and do the tires and wheels with a seperate wash mit. After the wheels are clean I ampty the bucket out, rinse the dirt out of it, grab a fresh mit, and refil it with water and soap.

At work we have 2 buckets... one with dirty water (transfered from the wash bucket when the water is no longer clean/soapy), and bucket with clean car wash. Dirty old work out brush for doing the wheels, good brush or mit for doing the paint. The brushes we have are alot softer than the OTC crap and do not really cause any damage to the paint, unless it's a dark color freshly painted then MAYBE.

At home why not do do the wheels last with the same wash bucket? I always have lots of wash left over after doing the paint. And use a brush instead of a mit, cause tires can be real dirty. If you have a powerwasher, use it on the wheels/wheel wells and engine bay. Garden hose is still really the best to use on paint, although low-pressure power washer is still just fine (and gets dirt trapped in moldings better).

when you have black paint you have to do wheels first because you dont have time after your done washing the car because your to busy jetting around it trying to dry it off before water spots form.

Good point. If you are able to wash in the shade or a garage, it shouldn't be too bad though. Spray it with a quick detailer after and that should take off any water spots.

haha i do all of the above..

I NEVER wash my car in the sunlight and I ALWAYS use either Eagle 1's 'Wax as you dry' or McGuires Quick Detailer after every wash.

great detailing minds think alike

good idea, i wash my car uncovered...however just try and do it when the sun's not directly above(i.e not from 11am-3pm) unless i go to a DIY where its in a garage

and a tip i thought i'd share, when waxing, tape off the edges of your trim/windows/taillights/headlights, that way it makes for a better and easier wipe off(no cracks you ahve to get) and it doesn't fade your trim...

and a tip i thought i'd share, when waxing, tape off the edges of your trim/windows/taillights/headlights, that way it makes for a better and easier wipe off(no cracks you ahve to get) and it doesn't fade your trim...

:werd: I pretty much HAVE to when I'm buffing a whole car with a rotary, cause it slings the compound/polish everywhere which makes for lots of cleanup. I like to put a big piece of painter's paper (or just use newspaper) over the cowl so shit doesn't go in there too.

i wax my headlights and tailights...especially the tailights it makes them look 100x better

:werd: Wax/sealant also does wonders on CHROME!!! :) Just stay away from any kind of weatherstripping/rubber.. cause wax will stay on it forever.

I have found that if you use a little bit of tire shine on the rubber edging it really cleans it up. It will turn it back to black for awhile. Mine has been back to black now for a month.

Kyle

I have found that if you use a little bit of tire shine on the rubber edging it really cleans it up. It will turn it back to black for awhile. Mine has been back to black now for a month.

Kyle

there is also some detailer you can buy called.....Back to Black that works just as well lol

Kyle

there is also some detailer you can buy called.....Back to Black that works just as well lol

True, but i think the tire shine is a bit cheaper.

Kyle

I've done it....I mean don't use crunchy or some shit. The peanut oils are what does the job.

does this work on 2yr old dried on front licence plate brackets??

It's not really that hard to get old wax off of rubber... but plastic is damn tricky.

• 3 weeks later...

Stuff I used today, and Highly recommend(if not already posted):

Lexol Leather Conditioner. Imagine lotion in a squirt bottle, except for leather. Wow, this stuff is awesome. I put a coat on about every two weeks, and it has helped a ton on softening up the leater. Makes it feel more leather like and less slippery.

Aerospace 303 interior cleaner. When you spray it, it actually looks like Armor All. I was pretty scared. But, as I wiped it around, it wasn't glossy and it wasn't oily. It gives it a shine like how new plastic looks. It also has SPF 40 in it as well to prevent from sun fade.

So I took Slick's advice and bought both products stated above. I was very impressed with both products. I used an applicator pad with the Lexol Leather Conditioner and did the whole car and let it sit. I then proceeded to put tire shine on the tires and let the Lexol dry. Then I buffed it off the seats and they look spectacular. There isn't that greasy shine.. just soft nice looking leather.

The Aerospace cleaner (althogh its $13 for a bottle) also worked every well. I've had it on for a couple days and it seems like it isn't getting dirty.

Great products :thumbsup: