Auto Detailing Tips

Kaline

As some of you know, in late August 2005 I bought a fairly weathered 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL as my winter beater. The car in pretty rough shape when I bought it, so the first order of business was to get the car cleaned up so I can stand to drive it. Since most of you love to take car of your cars & trucks, I thought I would share learnings from this experierence with you. I've listed them product-by-product so you can see what each one was used for.

Guardian Fabri-Kleen: Fabri-Kleen is a product meant for fine furniture, but I've been using it for YEARS on auto interior. This stuff is amazing. I use to clean the carpets and seats. The previous owner steam-cleaned the carpets, which took out most of the dirt and stains. Whatever was leftover was cleaned with Guardsman Fabri-Kleen. The seats were downright gross, and full of sticky dark-brown goo. I sprayed several applications of Fabri-Kleen on, used a clean stiff nylon brush to lather it up and wiped it off with a clean rag. After 4 applications, the seats are perfectly clean. Fine furniture stores sell Fabri-Kleen: I buy mine from my mom's interior design studio (Inside Innovations, 419-424-0878, http://www.insideinnovations.com). It's about $6-8 a bottle, and one bottle dilutes to make 4 gallons of solution. One bottle lasts me for years.

Murphy's Oil Soap: Mix a mild solution in warm water and wipe down your vinyl and plastic. Great everyday cleaner that was suggested to me years ago by a GM Interior Trim Engineer. Very gentle, does not leave a sheen. Great for everyday cleaning.

Armor-All Multi-Purpose Cleaner: Cleans any vinyl or plastic surface. Great stuff. I use this on areas the Murphy's Oil Soap won't clean. Got all the brown stains on the Cutlass' door panels out with this (not to mention the mix of various automotive fluids that covered the white vinyl interior of my 1986 Mustang LX convertible many years ago).

303 Aerospace Cleaner: I use this instead of Armor-All Protectant. Non greasy, non silicone based, actually ads a 40 spf protection to your interior. On my '99 Corvette, I use this twice a year.

Tough Stuff: I used this spray-foam cleaner on the foam-backed cloth headliner of the car. Paul Bennett (former owner of the Cutlass) told me about this, and it works very well. Spray it one, wipe it off. He claims it works very well to remove the cigarette smell out of a car.

Stoner Invisable Glass: Best glass cleaner I've ever used. NEVER streaks when you use a wadded page from a newspaper to wipe it. It's kinds pricey ($4 at Murray's Auto Parts), but occasionally it goes on sale. I stock up when it is on sale.

Rain X: A standby. I use RainX on the glass of all of my cars. I love how it makes the glass slick and causes the water to bead-up off it. Definately reduces the need for windshield wipers!

Dawn dish soap: Used when washing a car when you want to strip all old wax or contaminants off. Good stuff & cheap.

3M Finesse-It 2: The most amazing polishing compound I have ever used. 3M advertises it as a Finishing Material used to remove light scratches by machine (buffer). I used it by hand on my '71 Volkswagen Super Beentle to remove the oxidation from the paint and was very pleased with the results. However, using it to remove the millions of scratches on this Cutlass showed how INCREDIBLE this stuff really is. It took 90% of the scratches out of the paint! To let you know how bad the paint was on this car, imagine owning a black car, not waxing it for 5 years and driving it thru an automatic car wash on a semi-regular basis. That is how the paint looked when I bought the car. It looks very shiny now.

Meguire's Show Car Glaze #7: A standby. I've been using this for years on all my cars before their springtime wax. When applied by hand it takes out minor imperfections and leaves a nice surface to use a carnuba wax on.

Meguire's Cleaner Wax: A very good one-step wax. I've been using this on my '71 Volkswagen Super Beetle for years. When applied by hand it takes out minor imperfections and a nice coating of long-lasting wax. Had the paint been in better condition on this car, I would have used Meguire's #26 Yellow Wax or their Gold Class carnuba wax.

Eagle One A to Z Wheel Cleaner: Not a cleaner I would use everytime I washed my car (too harsh), but is excellent at removing old brake dust. Use gloves. Spray it on, agitate with a soft brush and hose off. Great for an initial springtime cleaning of the wheels.

Stoner More Shine, Less Time: the best tire dressing I have ever used. Spray it on lightly, forget about it. One applications lasts at least 2 washings. Derek Zalewski told me about this, and I've thanked him several times for it.

I thought all of you would appreciate the info. I wanted to attach a picture of the $850 Cutlass, but the weather has not cooperated lately. Anyway, I think it looks pretty decent!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Euro

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• 97loudcut

• slick

I use invisible glass....and it still streaks....maybe its just because i suck at cleaning windows :bash:

i was a personal fan of the meguiars cleaner wax...till i tried mothers 8)

Mothers rox :D

I definitely agree with the Eagle One A 2 Z wheel cleaner! That stuff is the best wheel cleaner I have ever used. My Beretta had white laced wheels and that was the ONLY stuff that would get all the brake dust off and turn them pure white.

I am not a fan of Armor-All products, but the multi purpose cleaner worked well on the oxidation on my dash in the Geo Metro I once had. I hate Armor All shine products! I use Meguiers "Natural Shine" protectant, but it is getting extremely hard to find these days in place of the regular "shine" protectant. The Natural Shine stuff worked awesome, and didn't make your dash so shiney that you would go blind in the sun light. It also works very well on black exterior trim, not making it shiney, just really clean looking.

A product not mentioned thus far is a "wipe and shine" style product. Meguiers and Eagle one both make one, and they work the same. I use this just after waxing a car. Spray it on, and wipe it off and it will remove any wax that you didn't get off with a towel, and will also enhance the shine in the paint so I've noticed. I also use the stuff to remove wax from emblems and places I can't get with a towel. Spray it on, and scrub with a toothbrush around your trims and emblems to remove any wax you couldn't get out with the towel.

I have never used the Stoner tire dressing. The best stuff I have found is Meguiers tire gel. They come in Shiney, and Natural Shine just like the protectant, and I try to get the Natural shine when I can find it. The tire gel is applied with a towel to the tire, and unlike Armor All and other spray pretectants that only last a couple days, the gel lasts for several weeks before the tires aren't shiney, or clean looking anymore.

Just a little bit of my experience.

I use all Meguiers and Eagle one products, almost interchangably, but have found Meguiers waxes, and Eagle one's other stuff to be better that the other.

I will only differ with one thing Never use DAWN or any other dish soap yea they remove wax but the also remove the oils in your paint and cause premature wear.

I am a detailer by trade and I make lots of bank on guys who use dish soap....My .02 Jack :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :shock: :shock:

I also am a detailer at a GM dealership, so I'll throw in my $0.02.

AC Delco Multiwash works great for washing cars. We have a bucket of the stuff connected to the power washer.

AC Delco "Spray Clean" A tough Multi-Purpose Cleaner that is good for many things from cleaning filthy interior to getting bugs of the front of the car. Comes in a hand held bottle (with spray nozzle) or in bigger jugs for refilling. I also use the stuff around the house (works great in the bathroom).

AC Delco Oil/Tar remover- does what it's suppose to. Works great at de-badging.

Most of the AC Delco products work quite well. Their glass cleaner is average though...

CARBRITE PRODUCTS: We use several of their products, they are VERY GOOD.

We use one of their tire cleaning products (yellow in color) which works pretty good at cleaning engine bay as well. You can spray it up in the wheel well and power wash it works very well.

"Vibrant" tire shine- works pretty good.

We also have some engine degreaser that we haven't used yet, but it's suppose to be better than the "Blast Off" stuff we are using now (different company).

I think their products are very good, I wish we could ditch AC Delco and just use Carbrite :lol:

check out the website: http://www.carbrite.com

• 2 months later...

A window trick... I've played with some pretty stubborn, smeary windows... smoked in for ten years and never washed the windows?

Get a good, soft towel wet... wring out as much of the water as possible... fold it up and use one side to wipe down the window(s). Flip it over. Wipe again. Use a dry towel, folded in the same fashion, to dry it off... should come up streak-free.

That's what I do to my windows... I smoke constantly... vent my windows but it doesn't help much... and 5 of 6 panes of glass in my car are after-market tinted...

(The folding doesn't do anything except make you have to change rags less... you can fold it, unfold it, turn it around, fold it again on the other side... same as with a microfiber towel!)

Also... umm... if a car is EXTREMELY dusty? Blow it out with the blower nozzle on an air compressor. LOL.

Finesse is the SHIT. It's too expensive here for our shop to have ever bought it. But shit, we were such a great shop that I worked there for a year and a half and got paid under the table the whole time...

...could smoke weed at the shop if I wanted... in the shop...and cuz I was queen bitch, could come and go as I pleased... lol.

Lah De Dah... now I've put in my....1.5 cents. :)

Good ol' fashion VINEGAR works great on windows, and PAINT! Use it in between waxing, like a detailing spray. I used it on the Solstices in the showroom and people thought I put paint seal on it! :lol: It works really good at taking off water spots, fingerprints, and makes the paint feel smooth!

Works great for windows too! I wouldn't use it on the interior though, unless you like the smell of vinegar. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Also... umm... if a car is EXTREMELY dusty? Blow it out with the blower nozzle on an air compressor. LOL.

I hope you spend more time on interiors than that! VERY picky at work- they gotta be cleaned in every crack. Boars hair brush works best at getting in the vents and shit.

I hope you spend more time on interiors than that! VERY picky at work- they gotta be cleaned in every crack. Boars hair brush works best at getting in the vents and shit.

:werd: i semi-detailed my interior today(used 1 cleaner wipe on JUST the plastic caps that surround the rear seat track ends :lol: )

:werd: i semi-detailed my interior today(used 1 cleaner wipe on JUST the plastic caps that surround the rear seat track ends :lol: )

I got you beat, I wiped down my dash with WINDEX. :lol:

Oh yeah? I used a half-finished washcloth my g/f was knitting that I found in the glovebox to wipe off the dash. And a McDonald's napkin on the gauge cluster.

i also cleaned all the dash, trim, etc, vacuumed....protectant on the vinyl plastic 8)

I once used Rain-X on my interior by mistake (same colored bottle as Armor-All) :lol:. Now that area is kinda dull looking, but I can probably get it looking better with this stuff I got at work (not Armorall). Can't use anything with silicone at work cause it causes problems for the bodyshop which is next door...

• 2 months later...

Edit. I go through with a brush afterwards, I simply forgot to include that in the post... the nozzle helps to release most of the dirt, and the brush moves it out... but its easier to use a blower, brush or a combo of the two to release dirt thats stuck in vents and has been for ten years and never wiped out, plus gotten damp and set the dirt on there... keeps u from having to use water, cuz water makes it keep running and coming back.

I don't know if one of the mods would like to make this a sticky but I figured people could post the products they use for an average cleaning. Heres my list.

Car Wash: I use the MeGuires Gold Class car soap. Suds up really good and is a great deep cleaner. Smells good also.

Windows: Invisible Glass all the way. Never streaks even in direct sunlight. Great for tinted windows (ammonia free)

Tire Shine: AmorAll's Extreme Shine gel. Comes in a orange bottle with a free "applicator." Lasts atleast 3 washes (that's even with rain). I'll never use anything else again.

Wheel Cleaner: Well I wash the wheels with my car soap but after I'm all done with the car I usually use some McGuires Final Inspection on them. They turn out nice.

Spray Wax/Detailer: The "new" Turtle Wax Ice spray wax/detailer. Amazing product. Apply in direct sunlight and there is no streaking. Really impressed with results.

Major Waxing: Mothers 3 step process. You couldn't spit on my car after I am done.

Minor Wax: Mothers "Pure Carnuba" wax. Great shine and it lasts.

Interior (leather): McGuires "Rich Leather" wipes. I apply a thick coat and then wipe off access with a towel. Smells really good.

Dash/Trim: Turtle Wax Platinum vinyl protector/enhancer. Amazing shine and does not attract dirt. Good stuff.

that's all. now let me here some of the stuff you guys use. :willynilly: