Tranny whine almost like supercharger...

GrandPrix34

just a couple of days ago i changed my tranny fluid and filter to try and correct som probs i had wit it and it has been shifting like new, but the problem is now when i start accelerating abit above normal, well, alot, i get this loud whine, almost like a supercharger whine....read something about it being a tranny bearing or something like that....any care to shed some light on this dark and dusk mistery that is my tranny??????

Man, Im not real sure.....if its a bearing that means either you can take it apart and fix it.....and it'll take some time. OR, its screwed. I would say, take it to a trans shop

Robby

so does mine! I heard it millions of times before, but when my bro was in the car and i hit like 3500 RPMs (when my car really gets some kick), it made that whine. He was like "holly carp, does this thing have a supercharger?"

Jon

Sure it's the tranny? My alternator whines like an Eaton blower (no joke, lol).

Yeah that is very true. My alternator did that about 3 months before it died on me. So, those that have a whiny alternator beware. It could be the alternator bearing, thats where the whine comes from.

Robby

Hopefully it's not the trans. I just replaced one for a customer that started doing that not long before it died. If I remember right, it actually was the fluid pump that died. If the noise is coming from the trans and changes with RPM only (regardless of stopped/driving), that is possible. This is because the trans pump is connected to the crankshaft directly, so whenever the engine is running, so is the trans pump.

Jason

so wat do you suggets i do?

i kinda believe the alternator idea becauz ive noticed when im getting on the onramp and i drop the hammer, my volt gauge seems to take a plummet towards 8V but then quickly skyrockets back up....first time i noticed it was when i was accelerating then dropped the hammer cuz this Lexus wanted to go at it....when i looked down at the gauge cluster to see how fast i was going, i noticed the dash seemed a little too too dim and then saw the VOLT side go way down, by the way i let the foot off cuz the volt side scare dme

Sure it's the tranny? My alternator whines like an Eaton blower (no joke, lol).

Ahhhh..the dreaded alternator whine of death. The alt. on the TGP was doing that when I brought it home..little did I know it was already dead :( But if you think it's your alt., then take it somewhere and have it tested. When I took the dead one in to exchange it, they put it on a machine to test it, and boy did that thing whine loud!

yeah Advance Autoparts has an alternator tester. However, let them test you battery with the car running to see if you battery is reading right. It should be very close to 14 Volts. That test is not as accurate, but it is easier to do. Cuz the damn alternator can be a B*tch to get off.

Robby

I'm postitive it is your alt. cause mine made a whine like that. I got home and checked it, holy shit, the thing was sooo hot. i could hold my hand above it 10 inches and I could still feel the heat radiating off it. If your alt is that hot and it makes a whine, get it rebuilt now. I waited 2 days to have mine rebuilt cause I didn't have the time to do it right away and a month later my battery was toast cause the alt wasn't even charging. Check the alt right now, and be ready to buy a battery if your luck is like mine.

i've been hearing a really quite whine from time to time like that too....but it hasn't been loud...is that still my alternator? i noticed it was a tad lighter when i had a tape in the deck so i guess that would make a little sense, wouldn't it? can i get it tested for free?

yeah if you take it off yourself, then take it to advance.....they did mine for free

Robby

Yeah, most places that test them will do it for free if you already have it off. I took mine to a local shop, and they did it for nothing. :D