235s on Z34 wheel?

Kalgorn

Is it possible to run a 235 tire on a stock Z34 wheel? I'm making an appointment tomorrow for this Friday to get a new set of tires and a wheel alignment. If 235s will fit fine on the stock wheel, I plan to get a set of those. And if they do fit, how tall of a sidewall? I'm thinking 235/50s but let me know.

Also, recommend a good, relatively cheap tire. I don't want a cheap piece that won't last long and handles like ass but I don't want to spend too much. Either recommend 235/xx or 225/60s.

If I remember correctly, Z34 wheels are 16x6.5 (maybe 16x7). Either way, 235's will fit with no problems at all. I would recommend 235/55 because 235/50 will have a much shorter sidewall than stock and throw off your speedo as well as leave too much wheel gap IMO.

This shows what I mean about the overal diameter of the tire being too far off from stock with the 235/50: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

A great tire that is also cheap is the Futura Super Sport GLS. Its a performance tread design that also works well as an all season tire. Plus they last a long time (66,000 mile rating). I have run expensive tires like Michelin X-One's, and my favorite so far are the GLS's. (http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/performance/super_sport.html)

Well I just went and made the appointment today. I talked to the guy about putting 235s on and he referred to some chart to see if the size would fit and he said neither 235/55 or 235/50 would fit... kind of lame so I just stuck with 225/60s. I might call and change it though... I really want 235s. Tires are running me about $85 each and $55 for a wheel alignment.. ugh. $$$

Call him back and say you want 235/55's no matter what his stupid chart says. They will work perfectly with no issues.

Width is not an issue, and 235/55's would be only 0.4 inches smaller in overall diameter than your stock 225/60's.

Well I stopped there after school and talked to the same guy I talked to earlier in the day. I found out why he made me stick with 225/60s. Apparently 235/55s don't meet some sort of weight rating necessary by law and they cannot legally sell me a tire that does not meet the requirement. Something about 225/60s being 1609 lbs. and 235/55s being like 1560 or something. He said the tire you want to change to has to be equal to or greater than the stock weight rating. I'm kind of pissed because I REALLY want to run 235s but apparently it's illegal to run otherwise? I didn't want to argue with him. I'm tempted to try another shop though. I might do that tomorrow.

I would try another shop. The weight rating depends on the manufacturer and the model of tire. It has nothing to do with the size of the tire (to my knowledge). Definitely get another shop's opinion. I know Robby has 235's on his STE, which has similar size wheels as yours, and of course similar weight as well.

Well I went to another shop today and decided that 235s are just too expensive. I don't plan on keeping the car for a while longer (hopefully getting rid of it early next year) so I don't want to spend a ton.

I have heard of people squeezing 245/50-16's on a 6.5" wheel. Z34 stock wheels, in fact. It fits, but isn't recommended.

235/55-16 should be no problem at all, they ARE approved for mounting on a 6.5" wheel.

are they 6.5" or 7" wide? I know I've read this discussion before and 235s are not recommended for 6.5s...

Why? I've never heard this, just curious more than anything.

I don't know, I just thought I remembered that being said in a previous topic somewhere here.