whats the difference between the 2 thermostats???

Smoke1991

Quick question, whats the difference between the 2 shown below

45789.jpg

45979.jpg

i know the 2ed one we have, but im trying to locate a 180 in ours with the double spring. i found a 180 t stat in our 44m size but its a 1 spring like in picture #1. what is the difference???

doesnt matter.

what would the effects be if i put a single spring t-stat into my car?

3.1 mpfi

i mean cmon now, half of its missing.... what does it do....

Well the one that has 1 spring seem like the spring is thicker. The one that has 2 springs they are a little thiner. So the final strenght of the spring is the same. They should do the exact same thing.

I don't know about the engineering aspects between the two, but my factory 195° stat was a double spring design like the bottom one. The Stant SuperStat (heavy-duty) 180° unit I replaced it with was a single spring just like the top one.

the answer i was looking for is that the 2ed spring is a backup just in case the main mechanism fails to work, so it gets stuck open and not shut. found out today at work...

aparantly i did not explain what i wanted to know good enough to you people... or I asked on the wrong forum... whatever

.... :lol:

it doesnt fucking matter. what dont you understand? they both open at 180 degrees. that's that. get a stant superstat.

:lol: :lol:

Thats why I don't work at a parts store. Every day you'd get the kid who is reinventing the wheel and asking a million questions, I'd just talk to them like that.

joe dirt

I don't see a problem with wanting to know what something does. I thought it had something to do with limiting the bypass flow when the engine is cold, since that ass end does sit right at or very close to the bypass passage in the housing.

i get the same shit in service, 2 things that everyone understands. i dont know, and no, "go talk to parts dept at the parts counter, yah this is service. ehehhehehe

but cmon now, im not one of those annoying little bastards at a parts counter :-P

i'm one of those annoying bastards at the parts counter trying to get 90's parts to fit on a 70's car. :lol: most of the time, i would say 95%, i know more than they do. (i did work at a parts store for a while). honestly, i have never used one of those stats and didnt khow what you were asking i guess. did you find one in a 180? as far as i know, they dont make them for our cars in 180. i dont take too kindly to people saying i'm useless either and i was in a bad mood, but not totally serious. anyway.