Was there a Powermaster 1 and 2?

Prospeeder

I was curious, we have the powermaster 3 right? Then there was a Powermaster 1 and 2, what cars where those in? how where they different? Were they similar, Under pressure from an accumulator? Were they way less reliable? And ABS systems also?

There may have been, but I don't what they were called. Someone here knows that I'm sure.

I know other GM cars (when equipped with ABS) from the 86ish-91 time period could have different powermaster systems. The Buick Reatta had one, as did the Turbo Buicks. But I highly doubt any of those other systems would work in our cars.

The PM III is also referred to as the "DM ABS III"(dm = delco moraine).

This timeline here from GM states this "The world’s first electrically driven fuel-saving, integral power brake system for cars and light trucks, called Powermaster, is unveiled by Delco Moraine Division."

http://www.gm.com/company/corp_info/history/gmhis1980.html

I also found this. :shock:

http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/EMaintenance/BleedingBrakes.html

Lotus Esprits had the powermaster systems(they even list the PMIII!!!!!, I knew Esprits had "powermaster" systems from a search I did a while back, but didn't know they had the III unit in some of them).

woa! i didnt know that! crazy!

That powermaster unit in the picture definitely looks like ours. I just searched for a Lotus accumulator and they claim to use GM part # "25528382." Not sure if those would work for us, but they're still listed on gmpartsdirect and for $92.72

Ok, I found a Lotus post that stated that the above number was listed for W-body cars? Jeff, where ya' at? Got any info to confirm that the above part # accumulator will work for us? :wink:

Also, Jeff(or anyone else), do you who actually manufacturers the units available under the AC Delco name? I know the unit I got from prior was made by Hydac(a german company), I believe the AC Delco ones are also German made, but I can't confirm that since I tossed my old in in the garbage a while back(don't remember if it had that info on it anyways). Hydac has info online and two sites in the states you can order through. I might see about getting accumulators straight from them to see if we can save any $'s without having to go through Prior for them.

matt,

i also found information from a lotus page. thats where i got the part number that actually showed up on GMPP for an accumulator. I cannot recall the number off the top of my head, but i know it began with an 8.

matt,

i also found information from a lotus page. thats where i got the part number that actually showed up on GMPP for an accumulator. I cannot recall the number off the top of my head, but i know it began with an 8.

I wonder if the bottle sizes listed for all those Lotus part #'s(I found quite a few different numbers actually) would be the same size as ours or at least a size that will fit in our cars. I also wonder if they have the same pressure specs(I saw that there was a very slight difference between their stock pressure ratings and the GM replacements they were buying....they didn't notice any difference or problems by using the slightly different rated accumulators from what I gathered.) Anyways, I still want to see how much an accumulator straight from Hydac would be. It looks like we can order even the stock bottle size from Hydac(they give you a lot of choices according to the catalog on their website).