Early 90's delco CD

CutlassSL91

I got it fixed/swapped out for a new one locally in town here at a shop that repairs stereos that have been stolen and recovered.

Home electronic repair places might do car audio as well.

As for mp3 compatability, NO IDEA, BUMP!

You cannot add MP3 capability to the older headunits. It would have to be done by means of an aftermarket CD Changer or some other external, FM Modulated device.

If you read my page, I sent in my CD mechanism and they sent me a new one back. Now, this was back in like 2001 or 2002, so I don't know if the guy at mnrelectronics.com still sells the CD mechanisms to consumers like that anymore. I haven't contacted him since that time, and I have not heard from anyone else who has bought a mechanism from him.

I'd recommend doing the repair yourself as you can save yourself money not paying any labor charges. If you can use a screw driver, keep track of little screws, and remember where a couple of plugs go, you can do this repair.

As for the 97 Cutlass CD Player, those should be even easier to fix than the first gen decks since the unit is all one piece. I've never seen the internals of one of those though, so I can't be 100% for sure.

Get the part number on the side of the mechanism, and email Michael at mnrmichael@ameritech.net with that number and tell him that you need a replacement mechanism. He'll tell you what it's gonna cost, and then you ship your defective mechanism to them, and they will ship you a replacement one.

That's what I did when I repaired mine.

hmm. do you know if they can make it .mp3 compatible? i'm still debating whether it would be better to get my olds hu fixed or go aftermarket.

if it's cheaper to get the factory deck fixed, i'd like to keep it

Read Lukes post above your last one, they can't make it MP3 compatible.

If you want MP3 capability, pay out the ass for a HU from GM that can do MP3, or go aftermarket. I've got an MP3 deck I'm selling for $100 or so.

Would a chevy CD player like this work? And were some grey and others dark grey/black like this, or all the same color?

MVC-465S.JPG

Would this player be able to mount ok in my car?

Also, what makes the Bose head unit different?

um. negative. gen 1.5s didn't get bcms. at least i'm pretty sure they didn't. i pulled a unit identical to that from a 98? monte and all i had to do was enter the theftlock code for it to work

i'm assuming your cutlass is a 91. if that's the case, i don't think it would come close to mounting in your dash. the wiring is the same, i think.

Read Lukes post above your last one, they can't make it MP3 compatible.

If you want MP3 capability, pay out the ass for a HU from GM that can do MP3, or go aftermarket. I've got an MP3 deck I'm selling for $100 or so.

i figured hea meant the ones like have been posted in this thread couldn't be made mp3 compatible. i didn't know if mine could or not, since they were still being used in the n body cutlass and stuff

Some of them DO work....the one from my buddies 96 cavy is JUST like that one pictured above. I plugged it into my Lumina and it worked perfectly.

There is a certain cut off point where those ones no longer owrk for above reason....just don't know what year??

Oh...the wiring isn't totally the same. The plug that controls the dimming of the faceplate lights, powering the face plate lights is slighty larger IIRC....however the H/U power and both speaker plugs work fine

Hmm, wierd. Must have had a small difference between the brands then :S...the plug on my 90 Lumina didn't fit, to large. However it was still the three same wires, just have to change ends, no biggie.

The problem was, at the back on my dash, there is some bullshit harness plug I think that is for the climate control hanging down there.....the damn thing prevents me from putting the newer style 1.5din cd player in my dash :evil: . I can't move this plug either...it seems it was jammed there and there is no room to push it anywhere

Oh well

works perfect just the plug for the dimmer wont work because if it is a speed sensitive headunit it uses that plug also and you'd have to pinout theat one plug.

i had a 92 lumina and it worked fine, even fit in the dash

I never bothered to do it because I'm not particularly electronically inclined. I'd love to get another one or get this one fixed, I don't want an aftermarket one because I love the steering wheel controls.

I've got to agree with ya on that one. I've looked at a few aftermarket H/U's that had all the bright, flashing lights and colors. The only thing they didn't do was hook up to my steering wheel controls so I just said "To hell with it" and stayed with the stock H/U. It plays both CD's and Tapes and they both work. Yes...some of us STILL listen to tapes. LOL