Early 90's delco CD

CutlassSL91

Is it possible to find one of these that work under $150??? I really want the factory '89-'94 Cutlass CD for my car, and they are so hard to find and when i do find them, they are $200! Anyone know of a place where they'd be less than $150?

cuttylights030.jpg

I see them on eBay from time to time...but I wish you very good luck with the working part. Seems like 95% of them dont work, and the ones that do wont be shortly.

Amazingly enough mine still works perfect. I guess there are advantages to buying a car from an older lady that does't even know what a CD is. :lol:

I'd just buy a broken one, have it rebuilt with MP3 capability, and never worry about it again.

Almost better to get a non working one, and get it fixed. I did see a few on ebay when I was looking for the Pontiac one a few years ago.

Or you can get a broken one, and get a working Pontiac one and just swap faces and buttons.

Or you can get a broken one, and get a working Pontiac one and just swap faces and buttons.

do you mean get the old kind like (exactly like torotoro's) and if i doesn't work, put in the pontiac CD player, and still have all the buttons work?

BTW, how much to have one fixed?

Buy my Pioneer CD player and forget about stock. Aftermarket (for the most part) sounds better anyway.

Unless you're paying a serious amount of money, aftermarket generally sucks ass. The ONLY components I'd even consider installing in the Cutlass are Boston Acoustics. Aftermarket headunits look like utter shit, and if my stock HU plays a CD and looks like it belongs in the car (and not like a 5-year-old picked it out), I'm satisfied.

That being said, I'm still on the lookout for a Cutlass CD headunit.

I bought one from the j/y that supposedly worked, however it didn't, so the yard pretty much just gave it to me and I had it repaired....the cost to repair was over $200 canadain, however, backed up with an aftermarket amp, it sounds great, and looks factory like it should (I'm a big fan of factory look)

Yeah, that's the same one in my Cutty. Radio works great, CD player doesn't.

I believe somebody on the forum did a writeup on how to take the thing apart and fix it, I don't remember who.

I never bothered to do it because I'm not particularly electronically inclined. I'd love to get another one or get this one fixed, I don't want an aftermarket one because I love the steering wheel controls.

all this talk makes me want to get one for my car and get rid of the stupid aftermarket one that's in there. I hate the way it looks but i love having cd's. :D bittersweet i suppose.

I know of a 91 Lumina (in which I am trying to buy if my parents would let me!! :evil: ) but this car has it!! and i know that it works too!! If i got that i'd steal the radio out of it and put it in my car :lol:

if anyone knows of one for sale, throw some info on here about it, I'm now curious.

jeez i dont even know what one looks like? are they the same as what's in a 91 Lumina? if so, I don't think I've ever seen any but 1.

My 92 Z34 has the factory CD player (doesn't work of course), but it doesn't look anything like the pic that ToroTora posted, maybe it's just the faceplate.

WHAT?!?!? Come on man you can tear into an engine, but not that cd player....honestly it's not hard at all. Hell I had taken mine apart before discovering Luke's write up....though I did end up taking it in because I didn't want to send the mechanism away

I think 1990lumina is saying that he'll fix all of our old cd players if we want them to work :wink:

too complicated for me, you guys are lucky I can even navigate my way around the forum :lol:

Holy, well if you wanna swap in a 3.4 or something else into my car, I'll fix your cd for you ;)

But honestly....it isn't too complicated at all. Just remember where each screw goes.

Though I can take them apart and put them back together, I honestly don't know what fails in the unit...:dunno: so I don't know what to replace, if it is a part that CAN be replaced

ok so where do you get the cd mechanism fixed? the one in my 97 cutlass hu is going and it'll need to be replaced soon.

and how much is it going to cost to get it with mp3 compatability?