Testing Amp Watts

rshissler

If there is somebody with more experience please feel free to correct me, however

With resistors in series, current should be uniform

With that, you could check the voltage (with a voltmeter) coming off the amp when it is wired in series with a resistor, or you could check the current in the circuit (with an ammeter). You need to obtain both voltage and resistance via these methods, you can also use the equation V=IR to figure the unknown value. Don't check the voltage by just hooking the meter up to the + and - terminals of the amp, something will break. Also, I belive voltage must be checked in parallel and current in series.

Then wattage (power) can be calculated by the equation P=IV

Like I said, I am a little rusty on this stuff, so if somebody has a correction feel free...

Your method would only test the input power consumption, but amps aren't 100% efficient (Class AB are just what, 50% efficient?) so that won't tell you anything about output power.

I believe you'd have to connect a resistor of the appropriate load to the outputs, feed a signal into the amp, and test the AC voltage drop on the resistor. Then you could use Ohm's Law to get the wattage. I believe you'd need a meter capable of getting RMS readings.

I'm sure there is an equation to find out RMS via other measurements...

I am confused how measuring voltage and current in the same circuit as the sub would tell me input power.

Maybe I wasn't very clear in my explanation? (resistor = subwoofer)

Here is a good link to determine how much voltage you are outputting. And then you can use the perviouslly stated formuals to determine how much wattage you are seeing. But remember even these calculations can be scrutinized because the resistance of a given voice coil increases as it heats up..

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143