GP tail light idea

THe_DeTAiL3R

Okay so I got the regular SE type tail lights

IMG_1815.jpg

Obviously I need to take apart the lights and re-seal them. I'm thinking about doing something to the amber part. Either putting night shade stuff on it, or changing it with red plastic from STE. I know the STE red part is bigger, but if you were to cut it would it fit nicely? (I want to leave the backup light the way it is)

523848_4_full.jpg

What if you took a sedan tail light and replaced the amber top part with the red from a coupe tail light? That way you could have larger back-up lights :wink: ...

Red turn signals suck. I'm sure it would look okay, but I hate 'em. :thumbsdown:

I don't think it would clean up the look very much since the turn signals are in their own separate box in the taillights.

What if you took a sedan tail light and replaced the amber top part with the red from a coupe tail light? That way you could have larger back-up lights :wink: ...

I think that would be the best idea. Would look pretty cool, and definitely different too.

Red turn signals suck.

Coming from somone with two Cutlass supremes :lol:

I didn't design 'em! :lol:

They suck worse on other peoples' cars. I don't have to look at my own blinkers. :read:

I absolutely hate amber turn signals. I have clear bulbs in all my front blinkers on every car I drive, and all 4 of my drivers have red blinkers in the rear. I think it'd look really nice, those lights in the back have always been one of my major gripes on the GP.

I absolutely hate amber turn signals. I have clear bulbs in all my front blinkers on every car I drive, and all 4 of my drivers have red blinkers in the rear. I think it'd look really nice, those lights in the back have always been one of my major gripes on the GP.

Turn signals are amber because color indicates function and purpose. It doesn't matter whether they look pretty or not. The fact that the US allows non-amber turn signals is as dumb as if they were to allow non-red rear brake lights or if they allowed traffic lights to vary in color. Absolutely retarded. Making your turn signals white is just as bad as those dumb ricers who run white bulbs the brake lights of their clear tails.

You're telling me that crap is legal?

It doesn;t sound to me like legality falls into this.. Although, it is NOT illegal to have white turn signals on the front if you sit and think about it becasue headlights are white.. Therefore, as long as it isn;t red or blue, you should be fine for turn signals out front..

I have had the idea to red out the tails of a GP for a while now.. I'd like to see how it looks..

Turn signals are amber because color indicates function and purpose. It doesn't matter whether they look pretty or not. The fact that the US allows non-amber turn signals is as dumb as if they were to allow non-red rear brake lights or if they allowed traffic lights to vary in color. Absolutely retarded. Making your turn signals white is just as bad as those dumb ricers who run white bulbs the brake lights of their clear tails.

x2 I fucking hate white turn signals. A lot of Volvos and a few other cars have weird turn signals.. the lense will be amber but then they light up fucking bright white. And modding signals? if you throw an amber bulb in, and it's only the front, fine. but don't go putting fucking white bulbs in with a clear lense.

I saw an SUV with a blinding, brilliant blue turn signals the other day. You're telling me that crap is legal?

Blue lights you can definetly get pulled over for, as only emergancy vehicles are supposed to have them. Period. I can't tell you how many Honduhs I've heard of getting pulled over for having blue lights on their washer nozzles or something. You also cannot have any forward facing red lights, and a lot of places are strict about underbody light color too.

Hell, in Europe, vehicles are required to have amber turn signals. They have very strict lighting regulations over there.

It doesn;t sound to me like legality falls into this.. Although, it is NOT illegal to have white turn signals on the front if you sit and think about it becasue headlights are white.. Therefore, as long as it isn;t red or blue, you should be fine for turn signals out front..

I don't know if it's illegal or not for a car owner to put in white bulbs into clear lensed turn signals, but it IS illegal for a car manufacturer to do it. That's why you don't see ANY car from the factory with white turn signals, they all have amber bulbs. I don't understand how you're justifying them by comparing to headlights, because headlights have a completely different purpose and meaning. Reverse lights in the rear are white too, that doesn't mean it's okay to have white brake lights just because they are adjacent to each other. Red, yellow, and green traffic lights are adjacent to each other too, that doesn't mean it's okay for a mayor in some hick town who hates the colors red and yellow to replace them with green lights.

x2 I fucking hate white turn signals. A lot of Volvos and a few other cars have weird turn signals.. the lense will be amber but then they light up fucking bright white. And modding signals? if you throw an amber bulb in, and it's only the front, fine. but don't go putting fucking white bulbs in with a clear lense.

Are they really signals? Maybe they're cornering lights (if they don't blink), or if they blink, maybe it's like those old 80's Toyota minitrucks where the lenses have faded. I've seen some of those with whitish pink brake lights because the lenses faded so badly.

Hell, in Europe, vehicles are required to have amber turn signals. They have very strict lighting regulations over there.

Yep, their lighting laws are better in every conceivable way. The only 1st gen W-body ever sold in Europe is the Grand Prix! It has export-friendly taillights. No other W was allowed without modification to the tails. The Grand Prix has the best taillights of any gen 1 W. Not to mention it's got so many bulbs in it, there's plenty of redundancy if one should burn out. If I were to do anything to them, it would be to duplicate the amber lens in clear and use amber bulbs.

I do really like how on newer VW's and Audi's, the turn signals in the rear look red, but they light up amber. I wonder how they did that?

I saw an SUV with a blinding, brilliant blue turn signals the other day. You're telling me that crap is legal?

Blue lights you can definetly get pulled over for, as only emergancy vehicles are supposed to have them. Period. I can't tell you how many Honduhs I've heard of getting pulled over for having blue lights on their washer nozzles or something. You also cannot have any forward facing red lights, and a lot of places are strict about underbody light color too.

:werd: x 9372943

Gnat, the Jettas I've seen have alternating strips of red and clear plastic on the taillights. So I'm guessing they put amber bulbs in there, and the amber light shining through the clear parts overpowers the red. I actually HATE those taillights because they light up pink, intead of red, because of all the clear parts. Just doen't look right. :?

Come to think of it, they might not have had the clear strips go into the brake light part. I think the strips there are more of a pink, not totally clear. But I remember being behind one and thinking WTF is up with the pink taillights???, because they aren't totally red like the rest of the cars have.

I had no idea lights were so confusing for so many people. I'm just glad that most of the manufacturers are going back to all red. The CK pickups, GP, new explorer, taurus, and ranger all had ambers for a little while and now changed back to all red.

I had no idea lights were so confusing for so many people. I'm just glad that most of the manufacturers are going back to all red. The CK pickups, GP, new explorer, taurus, and ranger all had ambers for a little while and now changed back to all red.
:withstupid: i hate the amber tail lights :evil: I think solid red tail lights would look bad ass on your car c-bad.