OEM Mufflers Dual Exhaust? UPDATED

CutlassSL91

magnaflow mufflers sounds smooth on a 3.1, with the 3.4 you'd still need a resinator (sp) to get rid of the rasp.

My 3.1 would rasp like all hell with the dynomax mufflers, didnt care though. if/when I put new mufflers on the car, I will be looking at SLP loudmouth or v-force.

i have two 2 1/4" magnaflows with chopped first resonator and still have the stock rear res on stock piping and there is absolutlely no raspiness. its not really loud either.

those are the chambered ones. these are what i used http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=427. i had to fill in a pretty large gap to go with 2 1/4. i'm sure an exhaust shop could get or fab an adapter, but 2 1/2" id vs. 2" od is quite a lg diff. i would ask a local shop. you'll have to get either stock 2nd or 3rd gen gp tips or a/m ones since you will need straight out tips (i'm assuming your tips are curved like mine where they come out of the muffler. here is a pic of mine installed. sorry for the size. 30a2.jpg?phjIJSDBK4DJnQQa

The muffler I have goes for just a tick over $90 at local auto stores, but I got it at cost. I have no complaints about it, although to some it can be rather expensive. But its not raspy at all. But when this one shits the bed, I think Ill try some magnaflows.

what about one walker muffler and one magnaflow? Just so it won't cost so much and be too loud?

i wouldnt do it. the magnaflows wont be loud. i would get turbo mufflers rather than the walkers if you want cheap. they will be very quiet. the magnaflows wont be loud. loud (for a w) is glasspacks on a 3.4.

the standard turbos (not the super turbos) should be quieter. they are chambered and designed to be quiet. there are two types of cheap mufflers: turbo (quiet, chambered), and glasspacks (loud, straight through).

Turbo mufflers are loud.

I had a turbo muffler on my '88 Cutlass 2.8. You could hear that car coming down the road

not super turbo's? every turbo muff i've heard has been way quiet. the 2.8's are loud with stock exhaust anyway.

Just ordered 2 magnaflows today! I'm very anxious to get them.

I have a few questions:

1. NOW, I got my OEM connecting pipe today and i noticed the one bend is overbent by a couple inches, so it doesn't line up right. Can this be fixed even with it being crush bent without damage or a ton of work?

2. Also, I guess the connecting pipe that goes from the Y to the muffer on the other side was not included. How much would you expect that piece would cost (including installation of course?

3. The magnaflow openings are 2.25 and the stock is 2", is this going to be a problem or do they (muffler shop) have adapters or something?

4. The carsound is quite a bit smaller than the old one, length as well as the openings. Like in 3. will this be a problem?

Thanks!!

1,2: i think it would be cheaper if you could return the part and just have the muffler shop make the whole thing. get a quote. it might be cheaper.

3: that's the size i have, it's not that big of a gap to fill, but yes, they can use adapters.

4: carsound cat? how much of a difference is there in the "openings".

question: what are you going to do about tips?

woohoo, magnaflow. hopefully you're happy. be sure to post pics.

1,2: i think it would be cheaper if you could return the part and just have the muffler shop make the whole thing. get a quote. it might be cheaper.

cheaper than to have it bent back or cheaper than the whole thing?

(BTW, i will be getting some old camaro tips)