Dogbones

Supreme Cutlass

Q: Will the 3.1 W-body dog bones fit my 3100 W-body?

A: Yes and No. Some late model '93s and early model '94s with the 3100 SFI use the same mounts as the 3.1 MPFI. The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the end of the dog bone above the radiator. If that end has a large square rubber bushing, then it has the newer 3100 SFI style mounts. If both ends of the dogbone have a round rubber bushing, then it's most likely a 3.1 MPFI style mount. If you have the 3100 SFI style mount and want to use the 3.1 MPFI style, you can use all the brackets and hardware from a 3.1 MPFI. You can usually find the necessary brackets and hardware at a salvage yard fairly cheap.

w00t! Yay for round bushings! When I changed mine before I was warned that it'd be better to do them one at a time. It's common sense...less effort involved. Not all of us have a tire iron or crow bar lying around :wink:

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SigEpCutlass

• 19Cutlass94

• cutty

• boulevard

Guest donkeykongrape
Make sure the tranny's in neutral before you try and rock it forward, or it'll never come far enough.

There's the golden ticket, if the transaxle is in park, the engine will be VERY hard to tilt...if it's in neutral you can practically rotate it with a finger :)

Q: Will the 3.1 W-body dog bones fit my 3100 W-body?

A: Yes and No. Some late model '93s and early model '94s with the 3100 SFI use the same mounts as the 3.1 MPFI. The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the end of the dog bone above the radiator. If that end has a large square rubber bushing, then it has the newer 3100 SFI style mounts. If both ends of the dogbone have a round rubber bushing, then it's most likely a 3.1 MPFI style mount. If you have the 3100 SFI style mount and want to use the 3.1 MPFI style, you can use all the brackets and hardware from a 3.1 MPFI. You can usually find the necessary brackets and hardware at a salvage yard fairly cheap.

w00t! Yay for round bushings! When I changed mine before I was warned that it'd be better to do them one at a time. It's common sense...less effort involved. Not all of us have a tire iron or crow bar lying around :wink:

BUT you can swap then to any year 3.1 or 3100 if you change the mounts which mount on the radiator support, along with the dogbones. if you swap mounts, the hole(s) for the bolts on the vertical surface are pre-drilled and just must be forced to accept the bolt. (very simple)

Make sure the tranny's in neutral before you try and rock it forward, or it'll never come far enough.

There's the golden ticket, if the transaxle is in park, the engine will be VERY hard to tilt...if it's in neutral you can practically rotate it with a finger :)

I wish I woulda read up more before I tried that a few years ago :lol:

wow holy fucking 3 month old post batman! :roll:

wow holy fucking 3 month old post batman! :roll:

i seriously dont see the problem with old posts, some1 has a question or somthing to add, if they start a new thread u all bitch and say search, get over it :roll:

i seriously dont see the problem with old posts, some1 has a question or somthing to add, if they start a new thread u all bitch and say search, get over it :roll:

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!

So if I want the mounts just give him a call/email asking if he has ones for a 96 with the 3100?

Which company are you talking about FFP, RSM...?

If you're going to order from FFP, then you're going to need to change the front mounting brackets to use them. You'll need some circa '93.