Clear Tails? (Not rice)

lazytik

So, I was thinking today. My tailights are red, amber, and clear. Is there anyway that I can clear the amber part out, so its red on the top, and clear on the bottom? Just to set it apart a little bit?

I'm assuming a GP cause I can't think of other w-body off the top of my head...

I wonder that too... except I'd like to make the amber part red. Then a very light coat of that nightshade stuff or something.

I assume it's a GP since they're really the only Ws that actually got amber rear turn signals..

IMG_6543%20(Medium).jpg

That's basically what ya got. I'm sure its been done.. I just don't know if people took the whole amber/clear (reverse light) section out or cut off the amber part and left the clear. Don't know if you'd be able to notice the difference leaving the clear or not anyway.

All I can think of doing is tinting the outer clear part of the light to red so that the light will bliknk red, or just stick a red bulb in place, it is the same as the euro tails correct? clear for the outer part and the inserts are coloured on the inner?

Yes, Its a Grand Prix...much like GutlessSupreme's, except red.

Gutless, how do you do that? is there a write-up?

I didn't really do anything, I was just trying to clean the fuckers out because they had a leak and algae build-up inside (doesn't matter much now.. the TGP they belong is getting towed tomorrow).

In any case..

Just remove then lights and then carefully start prying the two halves apart. There's a big rubber piece that lines the two halves that's going to get in the way a lot and is going to be a huge pain in the ass to reinstall later (Don't use RTV - maybe to seal the light up again, but not to remount the rubber piece).

You might want to try grabbing a hairdryer and softening up the original adhesive a bit, should make it easier to pry, along with 3 flathead screwdrivers or so. I didn't get a pic of the other half of the casing when it was seperated, but I had a good mind to get some chrome spraypaint and spray bomb the inside of it while I had it all apart.. figured it would reflect a little better/brighter. The finish that was on there was a very dull 15 year old gray paint layer.. I don't know if you should really use CHROME paint as it might end up blinding the people behind you, but something along those lines wouldn't be a bad idea to refinish it.

Clean it all up good first, let it all soak in some dishsoap and wipe it down good (just cleaning that one tail light - there was a noticable difference in brightness over the other one after that.) Then do as you please in terms of coloring/not putting pieces back in or whatever..if you do end up taking the red out, check your local laws first because some places it's illegal to have no red whatsoever besides the bulbs, i.e. there has to be a red reflector or something of that kind in there.

It fits back together easy enough, I'd use something to glue the two casing halves together first and then go back and dealing with making sure it's all sealed up good later on. and check on the rubber piece to make sure you can get it in alright, and use an adhesive on that too.

You can cut the amber part out as has been mentioned, but then you have hardly any light dispersion because lights with a fluted lens have the lens that way for a reason.

Bare bulbs don't look good in our light housings since the reflector is a dull silver and not chrome.

No. Or at least not easily.

I can't remember if it was a seperate mold that's glued in, or if it's all one clear plastic mold with the grid painted black.

No. Or at least not easily.

I can't remember if it was a seperate mold that's glued in, or if it's all one clear plastic mold with the grid painted black.

I just took mine apart (from 88 GP)- it's molded plastic, part of the whole thing.

why not try taking out the red lens from the bottom of s sedan's tails and replacing ouyr amber lens with it? i don't remember EXACTLY what the sedan tails look like, so i may be way oof

That would be cool, something I'd like to do. All red tail lights (except for the reverse light). Just wonder if all that plastic shit is interchangable. Either that or I'm gonna black out the amber piece inside.