ABS codes

Supreme Cutlass

I once bought a OBD-1 code reader ($20) and it had a switch to read either SES or ABS codes. Then I discovered the paperclip method so I returned it. (This was when I had my 88 GP BTW). So I dunno...

The kind you're talking about can read ABS codes, but not the early on ones. It's like '93 & up, or something. Otherwise, the majority of the first gen ABS' had a seperate connector somewhere that you had to hook a totally different connector to in order to scan.

Would there be a ABS reader for OBD II or 1.5?? Because I looked at some scanners to buy for $150, and almost $400, and neither of those did ABS, only SES. So I don't even know if something like that is available. My dad has one that appearently reads ABS, but I don't know for which cars, I'll check that out.

I'm referring to OBD I...

:owned: :lol:

I was refering to OBDI in that thread.

Both OBDI and OBDII cars (at least in GM land) can scan ABS and SES lights off of the ALDL Diag port. You should check around for a cheap scanner that will read both ABS and SES codes. It will use the same plug for both.

GM Cars older than 1988 may require something special as I'm not sure what you have to do to read codes on them. My only experience scanning codes is on 90-93 GMs (my cars :lol: ) and I have ben able to read ABS and SES codes on both STE's, and my girlfriend's Cavy. I was also able to read SES and SRS codes on the Beretta, all off of the ALDL port under the dash.

So how can I pull the ABS codes on my '95 Cutlass (OBD1.5??)

I'm not sure if you can by using a cheapo scan tool. A shop with a good scanner can do it for you, we charge ~$40 to read codes. The connector is OBDII style, but the ECM is still an OBDI style. Maybe you can look at the wires at the back of the connector to see which wires are the A and B connectors, short those 2 together and get a code to flash? I'm not sure.

I'll ask around the shop today, we have a 95 Lumina, but with no keys, so I can't check on that one. There was a 97 Monte Z34 there last night, if it's not picked up by tonight I'll try to scan it and see what I find.

A local shop wants to charge me $60+ to scan the ABS code, so what ever you can find out would be great!

Ok, I did a little research today..

If you have an OBDI.5 you will need a scanner to check ABS codes.

Check around with different shops in town. We charge $39.92 which is the equvilant of half an hour of labor. You might call around to parts stores to see if they have a scanner that can read ABS codes.

GM Called it OBD 1.5 because they had not yet established all of the features that they wanted for OBD II yet. The connector is an OBDII connector, so a OBDII compatible scanner is required for SES lights, ABS lights, and basic connectivity.

The ECM has a data link wire to send data, and SES codes to a scanner which is much faster than the output speed of an OBDI connection. The OBD 1.5 ECM also has an older data link output to send out ABS data, this output speed will be the same as OBDI.

Bottom line....you have to have an OBDII compatible scanner to do anything on a 95+ W-body.

A local shop wants to charge me $60+ to scan the ABS code, so what ever you can find out would be great!

Ok, I did a little research today..

If you have an OBDI.5 you will need a scanner to check ABS codes.

Check around with different shops in town. We charge $39.92 which is the equvilant of half an hour of labor. You might call around to parts stores to see if they have a scanner that can read ABS codes.

GM Called it OBD 1.5 because they had not yet established all of the features that they wanted for OBD II yet. The connector is an OBDII connector, so a OBDII compatible scanner is required for SES lights, ABS lights, and basic connectivity.

The ECM has a data link wire to send data, and SES codes to a scanner which is much faster than the output speed of an OBDI connection. The OBD 1.5 ECM also has an older data link output to send out ABS data, this output speed will be the same as OBDI.

Bottom line....you have to have an OBDII compatible scanner to do anything on a 95+ W-body.

So... What about plain OBD I?

You will also need a scanner to check ABS codes on OBDI. However, you might be able to buy a cheap one from a parts store. Call around and see if any of them have GM OBDI scanners that can read SES, and ABS lights.