'97 style olds cd/cass in 91 olds

CutlassSL91

Not to mention the opening of the 95-02 Old's are Double-DIN (versus 1.5 DIN for the 91.)

You can buy a couple of adapters so you can make the whole thing plug-n-play, but you need to modify the dash to get the radio to fit first :wink: . If you're bound and determined to get that sucker in there, check out http://www.installer.com for the harnesses (for the 95-up Buicks and Olds' the harness is called "blue plug.")

That's up to you to decide. I'd personally stick with a Cutlass CD deck. At least it'd match. Really anything with a green backlight will match, most just have that matte finish, not the gloss black.

Word of warning: Finding a working first gen CD deck is nearly impossible. Good luck.

The Buick CD players match up pretty close, and are a little more abundant. Find one from a '95 or older Lesabre, or Riviera, and you can use your existing wiring (may have to modify the dimmer wiring though)

It's true....gen one cd players are shit. I put $200 into mine to get it to work, just to keep the factory look in my car. What a pain in the ass. Good luck one that works. If you buy a broken one, LukeZ34 has a write up on how to take the mechanism out and put a new one in (or just take it in to a shop like I did).....fuck, mine still doesn't work in cold weather very well, plus you have to tap the top of the dash to start the cd player up so read the cd :S. Fuck I wish I would have gone aftermarket lol....

Anyway good luck man! A cd player from a newer GM (95-02 or so WILL work if you put on the new adapters to your harness.

right now i'm having a hard time finding one under $75 on ebay. There are a lot of the newer chevy blazer style ones with the fat hard buttons but i do not like those. I'd liek to find a good mid 90's one that won't look incredibly out of place.

• 4 weeks later...

I think he means an aftermarket one!

Our '90 has a Pioneer DEH-1600 that is also the same one I have in my '94 that I bought for $45 off ebay!

Sounds so much better than stock decks!

I do mean a aftermarket one. Look into a Eclipse, Pioneer or Alpine HU. Panasonic and JVC are decent to. If you give me a amount your willing to spend I can recommend specific models.