4-wire O2 sensor part#?

Guest TurboSedan

when you have regular o2, it takes time for them to heat up and read the a/f mix and adjust it for best fuel economy, but untill then, it runs open loop, heated automaticly heats them up so u dont have wasted gas on cold starts

Heated oxygen sensors allow the car to enter closed loop quicker. This cuts down on emissions since you're not dumping as much fuel as usual on cold starts. With a turbocharged car, the turbo is absorbing some of the heat from the exhaust, so they take longer to warm up(since the stock o2 relies on the heat from the exhaust to warm it up). Heated o2's provide more accurate readings, so the engine will operate more smoothly than with the OEM sensor.

So would a 3 wire O2 sensor be that beneficial on a N/A vehicle then?

Yeah, it sure would.

Eventually I'm going to get one so it helps with my car running so goddamn rich.

Guest TurboSedan
So would a 3 wire O2 sensor be that beneficial on a N/A vehicle then?

definately, even my NA Bonneville SSE has a factory 4-wire O2 sensor. my GTS has factory 4-wire O2 as well. i'll have to do a little wiring for the Cutlass but that is easy:

- sensor

- ground

- 12V switched power

in the case of 4-wire O2 it is only one more ground.

I have been noticing mine starting up cold and running rich enough to blow out black smoke for a few minutes. That is why I am going to do this mod real soon.

It is so bad that the new synthetic oil I put in like a thousand miles ago already black from running rich a few miles everyday. After it warms up the smoke goes away.

I was wondering if you need to turn the key on for a minute before you start the car or does it heat up instantly?

hey Josh

ok i have gone through many O2's in the last few months

my car when it was running to rich, ate Bosch O2's like mad.....

the part # for the bosch 4 wires is 13275 but i say they suck!!!!!!!!

i now have a AC Delco O2 (made by NGK) and its a way better and suprisingly smaller in height than the Bosch and Standerd brands.

Its only a 3 wire but thats only because there is only one ground wire not 2 like the Bosch.

AC Delco 213-610

GM 25172680

its way better than the Bosch and Standard Brands

and one less ground to deal with being 3 wire

wiring is easy

2 white wires, one to 12V ignition and one to ground (no matter which one)

one black wire to the O2 to ECM wire

lemme know if you need more info :wink:

I would imagin they suck because you have been poring gas through it.

I started this 02 business and I still have the same one in there which seems to work pretty good. The 4 wire is infact a 3 wire if you use one ground for both grounds. For the price you paid I could almost by two 4 wires.

Sorry your having trouble with it but I don't think that's your problem.

Jud

No No I was just pointing out that pouring gas on an O2 sensor will eventually wipe it out. I don't have the KM's you do but I do have alot more time on mine. And If you remember I did it because Iit was running to rich when started and the heated 02 took alot less time to lean it out and it's still going.

don't direct your question to me, I don't know shit about an 02 sensor.

Relax Dave I wasen't saying either one was better. :roll:

Jud

Guest TurboSedan

well i found out my O2 sensor isn't dead after all. my guess is that i didn't test the O2 sensor long enough with my volt meter long enough to start seeing the voltage go up and down (i was testing it with the engine fully warmed up of course). i wired up my A/F gauge today and to my surprise it started sweeping back and forth after i drove the car about a block. i'm still going to install the 4-wire O2 though.

• 2 months later...