Tranny fluid

Guest Anonymous

I've been running Mobil 1 Synthetic since 160K miles (before that, Valvoline AF3) and it's been doing me wonders! No chatter, smooth transitions, and a little longer life with my tranny cooler. Awesome stuff, but be careful of your transition... if the fluid (currently) is burt / brown go with regular for about a month, and then boost it up to the fully synthetic afterwards.

:!: However, even though you don't have leaks now, a synthetic fluid could produce one or many since the molecules are smaller and have better hydrolic detergent properties; it'll remove more 'sludge' within the tranny and circulate it to the filter. :!:

- RedFox340

I use Mopar 7176 in ALL of my vehicles. When I got my 88 Cutlass, I needed to add fluid since it was low, and all I had was 7176. I decided to change the fluid, and filled it with the 7176. I haven't noticed any difference between it and the normal GM fluid.

I was once told by a service manager that the Chrysler 7176 fluid is the same basic stuff as B&M's Trick Shift.

One thing though, 7176 from a Dodge Dealer is about $26 a gallon! You can get it at your local parts store at "ATF+3" for aboutr $2 a quart.

I just use what ever dexron is cheapest. Basically because I change my fluid about every 30,000km with the filter/gasket as well. They say your tranny is the stongest and most reliable part of your vehicle but they wear out because it is the most overlooked fluid in ones vehicle. Just ask a few people when the last time they changed their tranny fluid and you'll see most never have. Think what would happen if your oil was never changed in your engine. OUCH!!! :shock: