Pinstriping

kknobl

Are they vinyl? If so just pick and peel away...

For painted pinstripes? Oven cleaner.

Spray it on.. let it sit a couple seconds and wipe it off. Make sure you wash the car afterward and wax it.

Takes about 15 minutes depending on age of striping and thickness..

HAIRDRYER!!!

Or a heat gun.. whichever you have. Heat it up and it will start to peel off, if you do it slowly you can take off large pieces without it breaking.

You'll probably want to claybar or something after to remove the sticky shit from the paint, and hopefully the rest of the paint woun't be faded compared to the pin-striped area.

Spray it on.. let it sit a couple seconds and wipe it off. Make sure you wash the car afterward and wax it.

For what it's worth, I've seen oven cleaner bleach the paint on a car where it was applied.

For what it's worth, I've seen oven cleaner bleach the paint on a car where it was applied.

Then it was probably left on too long and done improperly.

Then it was probably left on too long and done improperly.

Yeah, so I guess all of 30secs is too long, eh?

NEVER use something like oven cleaner on your paint. Unless you're an idiot.. Your clearcoat nor your paint is designed to stand up to that harsh of a chemicals.

Do the smart thing and buy a bottle of Goo Gone. Your car will thank you for it. :roll:

NEVER use something like oven cleaner on your paint. Unless you're an idiot.. Your clearcoat nor your paint is designed to stand up to that harsh of a chemicals.

Do the smart thing and buy a bottle of Goo Gone. Your car will thank you for it. :roll:

So goo gone gets rid of PAINTED pinstripes eh? And I've used oven cleaner to get off mine and my BF's painted pinstripes and nothing happened. Also, I got this tip from a professional detailer who got the idea from a dealership when he worked there. Unless your clearcoat is complete shit then you'll have no problem.

EDIT: And if Lexus owners can use it on their precious paint I'm sure they aren't idiots too. http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge/index.php?page=index_v2&id=177&c=4

if Lexus owners can use it on their precious paint I'm sure they aren't idiots too.

Idiots can own any kind of car :lol: :wink:

This is true.. I'm just not one of them. :read:

I don't care who the hell uses it on their car. Most oven cleaners are based off sodium hydroxide, which has a great role in most drain cleaners, and is commonly used as a chemical paint and varnish stripper, which is NOTHING I'm going to let ever touch the surface of my car. As far as I'm concered, the Lex-ass owners that use it are just as sorely misinformed. But hey, it's not my car, and not my paintjob. Do whatever you want with it.

Well it doesn't matter. I've used it on my crappy 10 year old GM paint and nothing happened to ruin anything. So you do what you want to remove painted pinstripes and I'll stick with what I know works.

I still want to see Goo Gone disolve paint.

I bet Goo Gone and some rubbing WOULD dissolve the pinstripe paint. Acetone, and products based on it such as Goo Gone are safe on cured automotive paint. But since pinstriping paint is low grade, and not clear coated, it would take it off.

When I was using the Ding King on my toro, it left gluey residude on my painted pinstripe. So I took some acetone to it, and sure enough, with some rubbing, my stripe was coming off too. Didn't intend for that to happen, but whatever.

Oven cleaner is a little scarey to me, but thankfully I wont have to try it.

I used engine cleaner to remove the pinstripe goo from my car. I did exactly as stated above, I applied it, removed the goo, then removed the oven cleaner as quickly. My paint is still just as shiny.

He's right, you know. :wink:

Goo Gone will dissolve paint that isn't cured or clearcoated. Pinstripes are not.

Thick painted pinstripes? I think not..

Even when I used goo gone to get "goo" off it barely worked.

Why does it matter how think they are??? It'll take them off no matter how thick. Just might take a little longer. Unless the person put on the stripes, then clearcoated the whole car and cured everything properly, acetone will work...

And its still safer than oven cleaner, IMO. When you use a harsh chemical like that, even if it does look shiny still, who knows how much of the clear coat you've really damaged/stripped. Not all damage shows itself immediately, and when the areas that you srayed oven cleaner on fade faster than the rest of the car, and it looks like shit, you'll find out. :wink:

Pressure wash the fucker off.....honestly, I accidently took the pin strip off my dad's crappy Ford paint job (the vinyl style one) with our 3200psi pressure washer....oh well I just put a new one on the whole frickin car since the old one was all mucked up...

I would only use oven cleaner for its intended uses, its a good idea to use a base chemical to dissolve the chemical compound of the paint, but oven cleaner would be too extreme for me.

When I was a young hellion, I discovered that oven cleaner will kill grass immediately, so I proceeded to write "FUCK YOU" in my neighbor's grass one night and it was written perfectly in brown the next morning. Not sure why I did it....