5sd swap????

granyscar

I was thinking about this the other day, if I could take a 5sd tranny out of a 1992 cavaler Z24 and bolt it up to my block and just customize the interior, if I can get this done it would be bad as hell and different, any info would help.

if you have a 3100, I dont think it will work. If you have 3.4DOHC, then find a manual for the 3.4 and install it. I just dont think the 5 spd that went with 3.1L will work with a 3100. If someone else knows different, I would like to know.

Robby

Im not real sure, man. I know the bore and stroke are the same, but compression and head and intake are different. I just havent heard of a 3100 with a 5 spd, so I guess thats why Im skeptical. I guess, do some junk yard scrounging for a 3100 block and 3.1L block and do some comparing. Thats really all I can tell you. But somebody on here has to know if the 3100 can be mated to 5 spd. Really, somebody had to know.

Robby

The getrag will mount to the 3100 since it is the same block as a MPFI 3.1.

Provided you have all the mounts, cables, etc.

in fact, that getrag will mate with 2.2 OHV, 2.8/3.1 MPFI, 3100, 3400, 3.3, 3800, 3.8, 3.8 s/c...

however! the getrag cannot be from a 2.0 OHC (Pontiac 88-90), or ANY Quad 4/2.4 twin cam.

it has to be from a 2.8/3.1

and 3.8 meaning the transverely mounted one, not Buick RWD Style.

also 4.9, 4.1, 4.1 northstar will bolt to a getrag.

and since we can use the 4.9 in our cars, that's kinda dope.

however, the tach pulses will be off (and you'd need to get around that for an accurate tach) and you have a lot of wiring to do.

-MaD-

Guest TurboSedan

it can be done, Mick on this forum has a turbo 3100 with the Getrag 282 in his Fiero. the only electronics with the Getrag are the VSS and the reverse switch so that's easy. i would suggest getting the Getrag 282 from a W-body tho, since you may run into problems with the intermediate shaft, clutch master cylinder etc. most common donor cars are '88-90 Grand Prix's and some Cutlass Supremes. also, you may have a really hard time mounting the clutch pedal in your '97 CS since there is NO hanger under the dash for it (at least i'm 90% sure there isn't...). when Olds redesigned the dash in '95 they didn't leave a provision for the clutch hanger mount. good luck, it's a big project, ever since i've done my swap my car is soooo much more fun to drive. it got alot faster too....i mean not that it's fast....yet....

joshua

There is also a bar that runs across that area were the cluch hanger mounts at. 93 was the last posible year that a 5-speed can be a direct bolten without any major modifacation.

Its nearly impossible to do this mod on a car older than 1993. There is nowhere to mount the clutch pedal as the entire dashboard innards changed after 93. The cost to do it would far exceed just buying a good 93 car and doing it in that.

-Tom

Thats a myth so far!!

"the entire dashboard innards changed after 93"

I need ANY info you have on that statement!!

I'm doing it in my 1994 GTP with my 3.4L 4t60-E to Getrag 282.

Ok well I'm not doubting anyone that can show me the difference. LOL I have a 90 and 94 and I dont see anything different under the dash other than a thicker column shaft. and all the way up to where the clutch pedal will come through the firewall.... I'm still lost as to where this clutch pedal plate is different. AIM me if you want guys! I need all the help I can get

SoccrplayrGTP

Thats a myth so far!!

"the entire dashboard innards changed after 93"

I need ANY info you have on that statement!!

100% true.

PM Vegeta and ask, he has done the swap on a 92 Z34 and knows the ins and outs of it. Malibuolds also has done a swap so you can get detailed information from him. I know for a fact it is changed and there isn't any realistic possibility of doing it.

-T

I have. Unfortunately NOBODY seems to know the 91-93's AND the 94-96's. Ben and Jon (pocket-rocket) have done it yes. but it was in jons 91Z not a 94+. I met up with Jon in Chicago last week and we couldnt figure it out! Keep the ideas coming!!

Dont forget that Idid a 5 speed swap too! :)

Apparently in the 94+ cars the place where the clutch pedal mounts is different. That, and the firewall is different...no place to mount the clutch master cylinder. You'll also need to switch to the smaller brake booster, as the large one won't clear the clutch master cylinder. Not sure if the ABS brake modualtor will clear it either.

Jason

The 3100 will work no problem with the Getrag 282 like Mad said. The only problem is electronics. The factory PCM is looking for and trying to control the auto transmission. You'll need to use a older ECM and wiring to use the 5 speed. Then you have other problems like the BCM not communicating with the PCM, etc. Probably easier to buy a car with a 5 speed already.

Jason

well thats just too easy!! Whats the dif in the firewall? I know about the master cyl and brake booster, but what about the clutch pedal fitment?? How is it different? BCM- can you tell me more about that? Right the 93 or older ECM is needed and just start splicing wires!! lol cant wait for that part!!!! Keep this goin I need more info!

Not sure of the difference in the firewall. Go to a salvage yard and look at some of the cars to verify.

Wiring will not be easy...best bet is to get a wiring harness from a 93 or so W-Body, and it should be about 50% plug and play. As for specific differences...I don't know. Never had to do it. The BCM is the body control module. It interfaces things like the door locks, security, provides a signal to the PCM to say "it's ok to run", etc. I doubt you have one with your 94, but you'll have to check. Go to the library, and look at the Mitchell manuals for the 93 wire harness donor car and your 94 car to see the wiring differences.

But it's probably more work than you might want to do. And what if it doesn't work? You could sell your car and get a 93 with a LQ1 and a 5 speed and do little or no work. You'd have basically the same car in the end. But, like most of the people here, you'll be traveling down a road not taken yet (that I know of...but maybe someone has done it). So you'll have to make a path on your own for the most part.

Jason

Guest TurboSedan

personally i thought the 5-speed swap was easy....well, there were a few times i got pretty frustrated but it's not a hard swap at all IMO. i used a complete engine wiring harness from the '90 GP i got the 5-speed from, so there was no wiring issues for me (except A/C...big deal) - even the 'shift' light works, backup lights, no SES light etc. (definately get an '89-'90 5-speed harness). if you get an '88 harness those were MAF so you'd have to do some more work with that. the 3.1 MPFI/5-speed harness will control your 3100 (well i'm pretty sure anyway :)

i didn't know you couldn't use the bigger brake booster with the clutch master cylinder there.....i was plannin' on that bigger booster since i've already done the bigger '94+ rear brakes and i'm just about to do the bigger '95+ front brakes :(

modifying the hole for the clutch master cylinder is not hard, just measure 3 times and cut once. on my car the clutch master cylinder hole was originally used for the column shifter cable hole but it had to be modified into a slightly larger square hole with a Dremel with a tungsten carbide cutter and an 18" flex shaft. you also need to drill the hole for the shifter cables in the passenger side floor pan, but that isn't too hard. everything else is a bolt in deal. there are some pics on my website if you want to check them out....

hth

joshua

No, the 5 speed swap is easy in a 93 and older car. But once you go 94, you got a different computer, injection, firewall, etc. Everything went smoothly for me as well. I had the larger brake booster and newer ABS on my ride when I did the 5 speed swap, and it clutch master cylinder wouldn't clear the larger booster. It MIGHT fit, but it's a little too tight for me :). The Turbo wouldn't clear the newer ABS either, dammit.

For this case though, the wiring is the problem. It's possible, but it won't be easy.

And if you want to go to my site soccerplyrGTP, at http://www.turboste.com/swap.html, there are some pics of where the clutch master cylinder and clutch pedal go to compare with your ride.

Jason

• 10 years later...