Xlace PowDercoat how to take off

Prospeeder

Hey, im gonna be completley stripping my nasty gold xlaces, becuase for one there ugly, and 2 because all the clar coat is peeling off and what not, so im gonna stip them, will the powercoat come off like any other paint, or is it ammune to that? Im gonna hopefully polish the lip and paint them black, just like C-bads, prolly not as good a job as his tho, but close i hope. Iv read Duplicolor Hi Temp Gloss Black Paint will work good

Yea, that shit burns skin like crazy. Latex gloves will be your friend if you use that stuff.

If I were you, I'd have them powdercoated black. Not only will it look better, but it will be more durable to the harsh conditions the rims are subjected to. I don't think it's too terribly expensive either.

I used Circa 1850 paint remover, it's what my friend who polished the wheels recommended. Find the strongest aircraft paint remover or whatever and it'll eat that paint right off.

I used VHT Caliper paint on my wheels, they look ok still.. they're still black :shrug:

They are summer-ONLY wheels too.. my old sawblades are going back on in the winter.

http://wbodysource.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=441

Oh ok, what did u do about ur center caps? Any tips while painting? like, any specail things or tips on getting the inside of the xlace's

heres what my clear coat looks like, shitty huh

100_0812.jpg

100_0811.jpg

The center caps are thin metal, but my friend polished them as well... they no longer say "ABS" on them they're just shiney.

For paint I just did lots of coats, and sprayed at different angles to get all in there. The gold paint on mine looked way worse than yours does. I dunno about other kinds of paint but the VHT caliper paint seemed to stick pretty good.

As far as the corrosion on the lips.. the only real way is to grind it off and sand it smooth. My friend does this professionally for a living, with special grinders/polishers and stuff so not much advice I can give you on that..

oh! so my center caps are indeed metal! i can sand them down to the bare metal then, i thought they were plastic, and do i have to sand it by hand, or can i use my dads dremel tool?

oh! so my center caps are indeed metal! i can sand them down to the bare metal then, i thought they were plastic, and do i have to sand it by hand, or can i use my dads dremel tool?

Whoa hold on there... I'm not sure about TGP crosslace centercaps. They're black right? I think they could be plastic better check with someone cause I really don't know!

Pep Boys has it too. I was surprised.. it jumped right out at me. It had "Aircraft Paint Remover" or some other really blunt description in big letters on the container.

Regular paint will work fine, it's not like your wheels are going to get hot enough to melt it off or anything. I used some regular old automotive paint on my wheels last year and they still look like they're freshly painted. Prep work has a lot to do with how the paint will hold up.

That aircraft stripper stuff ate away alot of it, chunked it off, but a ton wont come off, iv almost used an entire can, scrub brushes, high pressure, its being a bitch to get all off