good question for you guys to laugh at me over

89BuickRegalGS

Umm, how do I check how much fluid is in my tranny? I know, pull the dipstick, check, etc. But it don't mean jack all to me, I don't know how much the transmission holds, so looking at the dip stick doesn't tell me crap! I have the 2.8 liter if that makes any difference. Oh yeah, and I can tell I need to fill it, I just don't want to overfill it.

well, it should be in park, idling on level ground, and warm. But, as long as you its not a lot above the full line dont worry. Make sure its a good red color, though. Basically, as long the fluid level is not in the cross hatches you are okay. If it stays low on fluid a lot, change your pan gasket.

Robby

P.S. Im pretty sure its a 6 quart pan, it is for the 4T60, but I think you have a 3T40, but I think it holds the same as the 4T60.

P.S.S. You said we should laugh so :lol: :lol: :lol: :joke:

Most of the GM trannies I have worked will say on the stick how to check the level.

If not on the stick...

make sure the tranny is warm/hot (drive around the block a few times) and then put it in park. Leave the engine running while it is in park and 1). pull the stick...2). wipe the stick, 3). put it back in, 4). pull the stick and check it this time where it is showing on the stick hash marks. Fill as required slowly. Do 1/2 Quart at a time and repeat steps 2-4 until it is full. Most GM trannies will not care if you go 1/2 to 1 quart overfull... 8)

If the tranny is a 4t60, from completely empty to completly full, including torque converter, it'll hold over 12 quarts. The pan holds 6-7. Mine held 6, someone else on here changed their gasket and their pan held 7.

Hey, do you have to run through the gears to check it?

I was always told to go from park to 1 and back to park, and keep it in each gear for about 3 seconds right before you check the dipstick.

Any truth to that? it doesn't seem to be included in anyone instructions here.

-MaD-

i actually was going to add that......thats the way my dad taught me to check it....make sure its warm, after getting it warm (driving it around) park it someplace level, run thru the gears once or twice then get out and pull the dipstick, wipe, pull again - theres ur reading

Ah, basic maintenance... just the smell of oil in the afternoon want me to bust out my tools and rip into my car! Yes, you run the gears to have all of the transmission fluid circulate to get an accurate reading.

Whiskey River: my question is how can you fit in 12 quarts? There's no way, maybe you mislabeled units. I worked at a quick lube shop and my car and other GM's with the 4T60 and 4T60-E took 12 pints after doing a complete tranny pan drop and torque flush; and 12 pints (6 quarts) was even pushing it sometimes.

- RedFox340

Ah, basic maintenance... just the smell of oil in the afternoon want me to bust out my tools and rip into my car! Yes, you run the gears to have all of the transmission fluid circulate to get an accurate reading.

Whiskey River: my question is how can you fit in 12 quarts? There's no way, maybe you mislabeled units. I worked at a quick lube shop and my car and other GM's with the 4T60 and 4T60-E took 12 pints after doing a complete tranny pan drop and torque flush; and 12 pints (6 quarts) was even pushing it sometimes.

- RedFox340

As far as I know the 4t60 and the 4t60-e is the same. I just did a pan drop and filter change in a 1992 SSEi with the 4t60-e and it took 6 Quarts to fill it according to the dipstick... 8)