passenger side-view mirror went bye-bye :(

93euro

ok so i was driving rather quickly down a narrow street when all of the sudden i heard a *SNAP*. i then got hit with a peice of glass. i quickly realized that i had hit a car with my side-view mirror, the glass was projected into the car (window was down), and the mirror was just hanging there by the ajuster cable. i want to replace this darn mirror myself b/c i dont really have a lot of money right now. i basically need to know what to get (junkyard?) and how to get at the screws that hold the mirror in place. i dont really know much at all about this kind of stuff so be gentle!! lol thanks.

I don't know on the Luminas... if it's similar to the Cutlass and Grand Prix, first you have to pull the bottom part under the seatbelt. It's best to use a special trim panel puller, just yanking it is likely to break it. There may or may not be a screw holding it in (there's a screw hole, but most W-bodies I've seen don't have the screw there for some reason). Then remove the power lock switchplate if there is one, and the plastic bezel around the door handle. Inside is usually a larger bolt or screw. Remove any screws you see on the trim panel around the edge. Remove the plastic cover from where the seatbelt goes into the door at the top edge and remove those screws. Then use the trim panel puller to pull out all the barbed clips around the edge of the panel. Hopefully at this point it will be completely loose and you can lift it up and out. If not, look for other screws/barbed clips that you missed.

I replaced the mirror on my old Grand Prix, and I was able to carefully pry the door panel in front of the mirror away from the metal and stick a tool in there to remove the bolts. Just be careful, you might be able to get away with it.

When I took the panel of my Lumina, there is two screws on the very edges on the panel towards the bottom.

Then, there are two screws in the door handle bottom.

Then there is one by the door handle you use to open the door.

Okay, now you have to pry off the trim around the electric window switch, unplug the switch and light, then pry the trim off around the door locks, unplug the switch and light.

Now, find an allan key (???) that will fit into the little screw on the mirror adjustment cable and remove the small screw.

Okay, now, I HIGHLY recommend that you have an upholstery removal tool - it is like a large fork and it makes pulling the clips quite easy. The clips are all around the door panel, and there is 11-12 (I THINK 11) clips. Don't forget about the two on the top of the door panel. To get to those you will have to pry the panel top out and above that aluminium plate that goes across the door and has the stripping for the window.

Okay, now you *should* be able to just pull the door off. You will need to take the trim off the door around the top part by the seatbelt.

The bottom trim part of the seatbelt does not come off. When you pull the door, just manoeuver the panel around that plastic trim on the bottom with the seatbelt trim sticking out.

Alrighty, hopefully this is of some help dude.

Oh, I dunno if you have a 2 or 4 door. If you have a 4 door the number of clips you have will probably be less.

And I found these clips are like one time use and break when you pull them out....might wanna go get some replacemements. I went to the GM dealer and could only buy 9 :? ..but the other dealer here has 18 clips so I'm gonna go there and buy them, but they are OVERPRICED....but I hear the aftedrmarket clips suck.