maintaining fuel injectors for 3.1 and 3.4

camkos10101

Believe it or not, the trick is to NOT use fuel injector cleaners and additives all the time. The chemicals/solvents lead to the injector's coil shorting out, so I've heard. An occasional treatment should be alright but use the better ones, like Techron (I use it once a year) Ive never had an injector fail, neither have the 4 friends I have with 88-91 W-bodies, nor my mom's cutlass or my sister's cutlass. Hope this helps.

Can pull the injectors, and take them to a place that has equipment to ultrasonically clean and test for leaks, coil resistance, flow rate, and spray patterns. I took a set of 2.2 J-car injectors to a fuel injection service center. They specialize in big rig diesels, but they do gasoline injectors too.

They charged about $25 each, including installation of new O-rings and screens, and provided a written report on spray pattern quality and flow rates on different test cycles. 2 of the 4 injectors showed poor atomization before cleaning. All tested good afterward and flow was increased. This 1993 car with 150K miles always had fuel injector cleaners (usually Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner) added to the tank at least once or twice a year, and fuel filter changes.

I also cleaned the upper intake / throttle body assembly and EGR valve / passages while the injectors were removed, installed new gaskets, replaced hardened rubber vacuum and PCV lines. Result: smoother idle, less exhaust odor, better throttle response, plan to do the same to my W-car.

older 2.8's, 3.1's, and 3.4's share that same problem, the injectors will just up and die.... and there isnt a damn thing you can do about it....

what happens is the insulation gets eaten away by the ethnol (ethel-alchohal) in the fuel (some places it can be 1/2 ethonol), that in turn causes it to short out......

the only thing you CAN do, is just replace emwhen they go bad with the updated GM injector, (or aftermarket if you please) but if they go bad, replace em ASAP!!!! 1 shorted injector alone can kill a computer..... I saw that happen on a 1991 cutty with a 3.1

Brian P, your on the right track, that will kill the injectors faster, because the main ingreediant in that is icy-propel-alchohal (sorry, cant think/spell today :( ) and then there are some very harsh detergents on top of that......