'06 Impala: 3.9L V-6

CuttySup

The new Impala has a 3.9L V-6 with 240hp. We all know that the 3.9 in the G6 is a 60-degree motor. Is this the same engine? If it is, it seems a little odd to have a 60* in the Impala.

It is the same motor. The 2006 Impala model hierarchy goes like this:

LS (the new base model) 3500 V6 - 210 hp

LT 3900 V6 240 hp

SS 5.3 LS4 V8 303 hp

And, uh, yeah the Impala has been available with a 60* V6 since 2000...

why in the world would they put the same engine in a W as an N-Body for 2006?

Well why would they have done it before? The N and W cars have shared a lot of engines for a lot of years.

yea, 3.9L, 2 valves per cylinder, VVT, And the later models will have DOD, they have 240hp and avalible w/ a 4 speed Manumatic or 6 speed manual, they may come out with a 3 valve per cylinder version with over 270hp

Well why would they have done it before? The N and W cars have shared a lot of engines for a lot of years.

yes, i know that but i meant for the 2006 model year being the newest it seems pointless to me, but i'm not GM

and the G6 is in the same class as an N-Body since it did succeed the GrandAm

The 3900 in the G6 GTP will kick the shit out of any previous Grand Am :!:

Why not? What else would they use? At least they offer it with a V8 (which I think is stupid in FWD.. stick with using superchargers), and the 3500 is better than any previous 60* in a gen I w-body.

Let the 35/3900 engine swaps begin!

These may be the last engine that GM fill make that can fit a 1gen W. The grapevine says that the Theta or Delta(forgot which) will replace the W and will be completely different. It's what the mythical Pontiac GP replacement the G8 will maybe possibly be.

And yeah, GM only produces maybe about 10 different passenger car engines so they re-use them all the time. The Beretta/Corsica got our 2.8 and 3.1. Just as long as we don't get any more GM 4 bangers I'm good.

lol, the G6 has a 4 cyl 175hp I4 2.4 Ecotec, then a 3.5, then a 3.9, the GTP stip is being dropped on the grand prix, its SE - 3800, GT - 3800 S/C GXP - 5.3 V8

So dumb question, is the 3500 a decendant of the 3400 and the same for the 3900-3800, or is it a big coincidance that they are both off by .1l in sze?. They seem very similiar, except all the 21st century gooodies.

I beleive they are all redesigned engines. I don't think the 3500 is a decendant of the 3400, and the 3900 definatly has nothing to do with the old 3.8! The 3.5 and 3.9 I think are based on the same technology.

I beleive they are all redesigned engines. I don't think the 3500 is a decendant of the 3400, and the 3900 definatly has nothing to do with the old 3.8! The 3.5 and 3.9 I think are based on the same technology.

the 3500 is similar to a 3400 save for the extra displacement, and the plenum, TB, and exhaust manifolds. Other things like the ignition are different, maybe the injectors.

I can see how the 3500/3900 are similar to the other engines are far as the fact that they are pushrods. But it seems all they are doing now is increasing size to gain the HP. I hope these new engines get much better gas mileage compared to the 2.8/3.1/3x00s

well, they got more power out of the 3900 with VVT, and .4L, 40 hp, DOD is coming too, wich they hope to be getting over 30mpg highway

It better. My overworked 3.1 in an overweight car gets a minimum of 25 highway, so these new ones with better technology better be getting damn near 40..

I wonder how they're doing DOD on a V6 though? Are they shutting down one whole bank, or like two on the end of the block or what?