89 and 90 TGP differences

Prospeeder

"But the Security lighting was available on the 90 STE's.. Isn't that strange?"

Are you serious? what the hell is going on here? Who do they think they are to put some stuff on some cars and not the others. The STE has it, the 89TGP has it but the 90 dosen't? Now I'm starting to wonder about the kid that told me he had one and the shop replaced its powerband before he sold it, it would do 160 mph.

Did GM forget to tell us about some cars with upgradable powerband too? who else has one?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kuntzie

• Prospeeder

• Rick5638

• LukeZ34

Yea, i dont have the security lighting, wich would be nice id think, damn, the 89's have more cool features, but the 90 had better seats, did 89 have the gray seats?

I'm told it's like upgrading the hard drive on your computer. The dealer has the disc and he knows where to put it. You have to be an ASC certified mechanic to do it. Atleast that's how it was explained to me.

What DIC did different year TGP's have? Was the STE the only car to get the VFD?

The TGP had the LCD DIC.

The 1990 - 1993 STE's, equipped SE's, and GTP's all got the VFD DIC. You lucky bastards. :lol:

I'm told it's like upgrading the hard drive on your computer. The dealer has the disc and he knows where to put it. You have to be an ASC certified mechanic to do it. Atleast that's how it was explained to me.

You don't HAVE to have a dealer do the work.

I've got the Security lighting door handles and all the needed wiring here, all I need is the switch pod and the little control box and I'd be set to install it all.

Wait.. you were talking about the powerband? (What the hell is that?)

I was talking about security lighting! :lol:

I feel dumb now. So.. back to your regularly scheduled TGP talk.. :mrgreen:

I was just playing around. No such thing as changing out a powerband. People used to think you could change out the powerband on a 2 stoke dirt bike and we just got a kick out of it as there is no such thing. So I thought I would try it on the TGP group. Just goofing off. didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Rick

I was gonna say....if you thought a power band could be replaced...... :confused:

Anyway....I wouldnt say the VFD DICs are all that great...those door sensors are nice, but if they go out......your interior lights stay on forever!

i noticed somethig really weird about my 90 tgp, its original keep in mind.. but the pain has a small chip on the fron bumper, and its red underneath!!!!!s o my assumption is that they were all intended to be red??? unless i have a super rare red undercoat lol ( i checed the vin, its the same as all the others.. weird as hell

no its on the plactic on the front... the rest of the car is black.. weird anyways ( hey maybe i have the last TGP ever made and they painted the bumper the wrong colour ??? :D

Jess's black TGP has red showing in a few places where road rash has damaged the black paint.

My guess is Pontiac painted (or primered) all the urethane body cladding red and ASC/Mclaren painted them the black w/ goldfleck when they did the rest of the work to the car?

Luke: Where would this box for the security lighting be? We have tons of GPs in the junkyards here that would be equipped with that feature I'm sure I could snag them from. Would like to do that on the TGP myself. :D

As for the randomness of GM features, they were very much into that in the late '80s/early '90s. I have everything I need to put in a certain rare feature on my AWD STE. This feature wasn't even an option. They just kinda' randomly threw it on some STEs, and charged for it, but you couldn't order one this way. A buddy of mine had the fortune of running across an '88 in a yard near him equipped with it. Driver's side 2-position memory seat! :shock: And the other odd part about the car that he pulled this from was that the passenger seat was fully powered, too! Normally, it's like the TGP/TSTEs, where the passenger side only has the power lumbar and headrest features, but no 6-way power. And NON of the '89 STEs had power recline as a feature, on the driver's OR passenger side. But the passenger seat my buddy pulled from the '88 in the yard not only had the 6-way power seats, it had power recline!! So now I'm going to have power recline on the passenger side, but not the driver's. :lol: J/K, I can pull a driver's seat out of a '88-'89 Bonneville SSE.

Luke: Where would this box for the security lighting be? We have tons of GPs in the junkyards here that would be equipped with that feature I'm sure I could snag them from. Would like to do that on the TGP myself. :D

I wish I knew.. All I know is that there's a box that both the door harnesses and the pod switch terminates to. I believe it's under the drivers side dash somewhere, but I'm not 100%. I had a PM on the TGP forums froma guy who installed the Sec. lighting in to his 90 TGP, and he had all the instructions for doing it.. But I accidently deleted all my PM's one day.. I was pissed. :evil:

If you can find a switch pod from a 1990 STE snag one for me, same goes for a box and it's harness. I'd love to get that installed too.

TestBed is equipped w/ Security lighting and the late model DIC. It's a much nicer DIC than that on Sunshine. The sec. lighting is nice too Luke, let me tell ya!!

The sec. lighting is nice too Luke, let me tell ya!!

Ohhh rub it in why don't ya! :lol: :mrgreen:

So since you have it.. You want to dig around under your dash and find out all about the security lighting and how it works? This way, us less fortunate souls who don't have it know how to install it! That's a grand idea! :wink: :lol: :lol:

BTW, I have the phone number of the guy you talked to, TestBed is the car he did the swap on. I might just have to call him and see if he still has it save in his sent folder, maybe he can send it back to ya! If not, I'll bet he'll let me in on the secrets. If not, I *might* be nice enough to look for ya.

hmm, strange, do u know if under the carpets if its Red or Black? I notice on my red TGP, that on the Trim peices, parts of paint of like flaked off, or road rash, and theres another layer of Red paint, its strange, i dunno if its the same on the metal, cause i dont really have any sheet metal damaged, good for t his info, cause i thought some1 did a shitty macco paintjob on my car and just sprayed over it

Pontiac won't spend extra money painting a car twice 8) Black was Black, Red was Red, any black that shows red under is a used part that someone did not strip before repainting, this is common since there are more reds to steal used parts off of then the fewer black TGPs. Aero kits from GM are flat black primer too.

Jeff M