88-93 rear calliper install procedure

White93z34

ok, what is the procedure to properly install the callipers, i think i've been doing it right, but i really do not know for sure, as both my rear callipers are locked up AGAIN.

yes yes. i'm throughly frustrated with mine, but i'm willing to give them one last go.

as i recall there is a certin procedure to install them so they don't lock up shortly after instillation.

1. Take caliper and place on concrete floor.

2. Grab sledgehammer.

3. BASH BASH BASH :bash:

Seriously... I think you can unlock the caliper by backing off the park brake stud (disconnect park brake lever and back off the stud till it's unlocked and replace lever).

its a fucking pain.... pull the pads/rotors off. then get a caliper turn back tool and bolt the caliper back up and wrench the piston back so it's flush then put it all back together. This might not be the correct way but it worked for me.

I don't think he wants a procedure to push the piston back in but rather how to remove the old caliper and put a new one on.

This is what I do:

-disconnect the E brake cable

-unbolt the 2 18mm bolts

-disconnect the brake line and have it pointed up to keep the least amount of fluid from coming out

-smash the caliper off the rotor with a hammer

-throw the caliper across the street swearing as much as possible

-I usually take the new caliper and I fill it with an eye dropper with brake fluid

-connect the brake line

-connect the E brake cable (right rear is easier when the caliper is bolted on, left is easier with it off)

-clip your pads on

-slide the caliper on the rotor

-bolt it on

-bleed the brakes with either a vacuum pump or a friend pumping away while you open the bleeder valve

-crank the e brake and release it like 10 times

If all you want to do is push the piston back in, do what they say above but I usually open the bleeder valve while I twist it back it... it makes it much easier I think. Remeber twist the left caliper counter clockwise and the right clockwise. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

FWIW: I use my ebrake all the time, since I have a 5-speed. I have no problems with my rears other than they suck.

As soon as I get the brackets for the rear and a E-brake. I'm going to be upgrading.