Steering clunk, pop

CutlassSL91

Whenever I make a left hand turn, I hear this clunking from the front and when I turn it back to center it seems tto have to "POP" back into place? Any explanations?

were do u live, if indeed it is the cradle bolts, because of road salt, they can corrode and pull through, causeing u to get in a wreck without warning, it was a recall, but the recall ended prolly 10 years ago, lol. Dont CV joints pop when u turn?

The cradle bolts may very well be a cause. The road salt here in Michigan is awful. Also, after coasting, pressing the accelerator causes a clunk up front.

I had this same problem on my 88 regal, it was the bearings on the spring plate (attached to the strut) although, I could hear the noise even if I wasn't moving, and just turning the wheel.

--Dave.

sorry 'bout the delay'd response..

I can't remember how much it was, but I was amazed with how cheap it actually was ... that I do remember.

--Dave.

here's the parts...

Monroe 902994 (for the left side) and Monroe 902995 for the right side, both avaliable at most parts stores (advanced, checker, schuks, kragen whatever you have near where you're living) for 'bout $45.00 each, you'd have to pull the strut assembly out of the car, and have a shop compress the spring and replace the "lower spring and seat bearing" you can replace just the bearing, but it's nearly as expensive as that whole lower assembly.

--Dave.

Well, the clunk it probably your dogbone engine mounts allowing the engine to rock back and forth.

Have you checked tie rods and ball joints? Jack your car up and grab the tire at 12 and 6 and rock it up and down and see if it moves. Do the same for the tie rods but grab at 9 and 3 and rock it back and forth, if either move you need to replace stuff.

if they have to pull your car apart, you're lookin' at a couple hundred, if you pull your car apart yourself and bring the entire strut units to them, you'll probably be lookin' at $50ish...

--Dave.