• 19Cutlass94

• Puggsley456

• jdcutty

• Garrett Powered

External demensions,

33.25" Wide x 15.125" Tall x 16.125" Deep

Front of box set back 1"

Back of box set forward .375"

Wires come out of the box on the drivers side when box is in such a way that the subs face the rear of the car.

Let me start by saying that as long as it sounds good to you...Dont worry about anything else.

Is this the box?

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/119725/type/1/catId/ENLARGE+VIEW+%3E+CAR+%3E+SUBWOOFER+ENCLOSURES/rpem/ccd/imagePopup.do

But After crunching some numbers this is what I come up with.....After you take the over all internal volume of that box. Which is 3.383 ft^3. And minus the port volume of .416 ft^3, and the driver displacement af .11/sub you get 2.747 cubic feet of internal space. No assuming a port of 3.5" wide and 12" high and 12" long. I get a tuning of 50-53 HZ.

Where I see a possible problem is that the length of the vent, being only 12" is nowhere near as long as it should be. It shoud be arround 37".

But Like I said if it sounds good.....dont worry. Does you amplifier have a subsonic filter on it?

37" for a vent? But that is the box. I e-mailed MTX Audio and they told me it was tuned to 33Hz I duno maybe I measured wrong or something. Where did you get all the specs from?

I dont know.....I have used 2 different box building programs now. I finally realized that the box uses 5/8" mdf and 3/4" for the front. SO Every time I enter the numbers in I get back a tunning of high 40's low 50's.

I checked out the BASSslammer website and their spes say that it is 3 cubic feet at 33hz. But there is no way you can have a box with a 3.5" wide port and only a 12" long port and be anywhere near 33hz. :think:

I dont know what to say?? I've posted this dilema on another forum to see what they say. Cause this is weird. :shrug:

Yeah it is very weird. The reason I bought the box, other than looks was the 33Hz. Cause I knew that would be good. I E-mailed them again asking for the specs and calculations of the box. So maybe this will help.

Yeah it is very weird. The reason I bought the box, other than looks was the 33Hz. Cause I knew that would be good. I E-mailed them again asking for the specs and calculations of the box. So maybe this will help.

I had a couple guys over at the icixsound forum mull over the dimensions and they too came back with a similar result of 45hz.

So lets wait and see what the basslamer people have to say. Worst case senerio...you may want to build a daily driver box yourself....and use this one for competitions. If that port had been narrower or longer it would have made a big difference.

That box is rediculously huge, I will post some pics of my stuff here pretty soon. I will agree though that ported boxes can take way more power. I am running a 2 channel 2000 watt Performace Tek on 2 Audiobaun High Excursions with the cross over and it hits like crazy, but when I really turn it up and hit those lows it just shuts off, not due to heat, I am just getting to much movement in the sub and it can't handle the wattage. I know one thing is forsure that my subs where meant to be ported, I dont have a suburban to house that kind of air space, but then again I dont know what it even sounds like. I thought about doing a custom port tubing it up into the back pannel in my car betweent the 6x9 but that would be hell to do.

I fabbed up an aftermarket trunk bass port plate with two 15" plexi-glass tubes. I just took a grinder and cut out a good sized plate out of my parts car back deck. then cleaned off the burrs and squirted it with a rattlecan.

All I did was cut a slot by the 2 oval holes in the metal and bent the tabs down for a bracket. then I drilled 2 holes on each tab so I could bolt on the tubes to the plate with 4 bolts each. I used rubber washers so it would not crack.

It is designed to come down on each side of the w-7 13.5" sub wheelwell enclosure and stop level with the face of the speaker.

It just needs to be glued and bolted up into place and it will be done. There is also a DB drag on Friday at the Stereo Store. If I qualify for the Extreme class(500-1000 watts) my chances should be good to take home a trophy. I don't know though, I have never been to one so don't know what to expect.

Maybe I will do a before and after and test the results :shock:

If you want to see the bass plate look at my cardomain site later today when I put more pics there.

alright, done.

does anyone know if these are big enough ports to help any?

I did this in 1 day this weekend. and Monday morning I bought a 6 ft. tube for $17.50.

I figured that if any thing, the back shelf will be less flimsy when the bass slaps the light housing against the window. Hopefully the vibration is exchanged for nice clean bass. it will keep the PS2 from bouncing around as much also.

Pics of it are on the bottom of pg. 2

Umm I think it can be big enough, but the tube goes down too close to the speaker.. the father you go towards the speakers the wider the hole needs to be. That is if your looking for a deep clear base. What you did is almost exsactly what I want to do... Where did u buy the tube from... home depot by my house doesnt have tube that big. I might just have to go to another.. let me know how it sounds though, because I really want to do it.. my audio bauns are made for SPL and in a closed box I aint getting to much of that... I dont have that bracket either.. did u make that... I am not to sure what I woulde mount the tube to on the back metal pannel in the rear! looks good though bro!

that box looks great. Nice work

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Just got the E-mail back from MTX Audio. They said its tuned to 33Hz and in their own words, "We would not tune an enclosure that high." Refering to the high 40's low 50's Hz. They gave me a set of calculations or atleast something in the E-mail but my computer cant read pdf's :oops: So Im having a friend get me them then Ill post whatever it may turn out to be

Umm I think it can be big enough, but the tube goes down too close to the speaker.. the father you go towards the speakers the wider the hole needs to be. That is if your looking for a deep clear base. What you did is almost exsactly what I want to do... Where did u buy the tube from... home depot by my house doesnt have tube that big. I might just have to go to another.. let me know how it sounds though, because I really want to do it.. my audio bauns are made for SPL and in a closed box I aint getting to much of that... I dont have that bracket either.. did u make that... I am not to sure what I woulde mount the tube to on the back metal pannel in the rear! looks good though bro!

Yea, I made that in 1 day last weekend and now I am getting ready to put it in. Did I mention that I cut that out of my parts car with a 4 1/2" grinder cut-off wheel. It took maybe 5 minutes. It should glue up in there easy because it is the same shape exactly.

I got like 3 1/2 ft left of it .

just found another two spots on the back deck for ports. This time they will fire forward into the cabin. Right behind the 6x9 deck the shelf bends upward and back again. If you look on each side near the side windows on the upward bending part there is a perfect little square of flat sheetmetal on the outside of the trunk hinge bracket.

I say drill a 2.5" hole there and run a 1 ft. port out over the back strut towers. They would fire forward at the front seats almost.

Puggsley456, With that box at the certian tuning or what high 40'sHz did everyone figure? Well if thats suppose to be good for that, how do you think that will help in my SPL test when I go to get that done? Also should I lay down like dynamat, because I guess they say its been proven to increase SPL? Or should I go with the stuff that you used, e-dead? Im sure both are probably very good and pretty much around the same price. Somewhere I found something that Dynamat had, I think it was stuff just for SPL. Suppose to help out with it even more? Ever heard of such a thing? I found it I just cant find it again :lol: But payday is friday so Im thinking sometime next week Ill get it measured. Then later on down the road, Ill put something down and get it measured again and see what the difference is I guess

Puggsley456, With that box at the certian tuning or what high 40'sHz did everyone figure? Well if thats suppose to be good for that, how do you think that will help in my SPL test when I go to get that done? Also should I lay down like dynamat, because I guess they say its been proven to increase SPL? Or should I go with the stuff that you used, e-dead? Im sure both are probably very good and pretty much around the same price. Somewhere I found something that Dynamat had, I think it was stuff just for SPL. Suppose to help out with it even more? Ever heard of such a thing? I found it I just cant find it again :lol: But payday is friday so Im thinking sometime next week Ill get it measured. Then later on down the road, Ill put something down and get it measured again and see what the difference is I guess

Yes, that box being tuned as high as it is. Will be louder when running a single spl burp at a given frequency usually 5-10hz above its tuning(so 50-55hz). The hard part it figuring out if the tuning on the box matches the loudest note in your car. That takes trial and error. Try a sweep at first to try and narrow it down.

Now as far as the deadening goes. it will help the spl by preventing panel flex on the car, but more importantly it will help the sound quality of the over all sound of the system. I used a slightly thicker than average deadener made by Second skin. But most sound deadeners are very similar to each other. But the thinner the deadener is.....the more layers you may have to apply. I had the choice when I bought mine of the differing levels of thickness that the companys had to offer and I chose something in the middle. You dont need the "Special SPL" dedener because that would be overkill.

Now as far as brands......Dynamat....is really expensive. And I dont like the logo in my trunk either(but thats just me).

I like the edead because you can buy it by the square foot not by given roll lenghts. And their eDead V.1 SE..... is very similar to what I used.

• 1 month later...

Well Im still talking to MTX about that box to find out exactly whats going on. They say 33Hz, Puggsley456, you and the forum there say roughly 45-47Hz. So well see whats goin on.......maybe.

(sorry for kinda bringing up an old topic, but didnt wanna make a new one)