Sealed vs vented boxes -- Pics

19Cutlass94

Well, as I get the info for the new box, Ive been playing around with what I have right now. When I play any type or rap with good bass, the whole back end of the rattles. The back bumper, the trunk, the reverse light bar, license plate. Could there be something loose, or is it just something that dyamat or something like that would have to fix?

I have the pictures of everything, maybe Ill post em once I can find where I put them.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 19Cutlass94

• Puggsley456

• jdcutty

• Garrett Powered

Well, as I get the info for the new box, Ive been playing around with what I have right now. When I play any type or rap with good bass, the whole back end of the rattles. The back bumper, the trunk, the reverse light bar, license plate. Could there be something loose, or is it just something that dyamat or something like that would have to fix?

I have the pictures of everything, maybe Ill post em once I can find where I put them.

Well using sound deadener will help to point. I have been trying to get rid of my rattles for years. I used 40 square feet of sound deadener in my trunk and it still rattles. For me it seems to be my back window moving that makes the most of my noise now.

Also I had my bumper actually come undone And I Sheared of one of the mounts, so keep an eye on it!

I use 1/4" rubbermats and place them ontop of the spare tire to keep everything in there from rattleing. And I sounddeadened the rear deck and panel because of all the air pressure it has to deal with And I put a layer of weather stripping in my high mount brakelight and the edges of the rear panel because it was even rattleing, but that needs to be redone as my noise is back.

just to add my .02 cents...I've had 2 bandpass setups and 1 sealed. Without question I prefer the sealed due to the cleanliness of the sound, but the bandpass wins in the lowend department.

Acutally so far, Im happy with how the ported/vented sounds. Im sure it will sound much better once its tuned right. I still have to adjust the frequency and the imput on the amp, after I do that, should be sounding even better. But even now, the bass is still clean and doesnt sound like shit. Ill probably be tuning everything on monday, as for this weekend, its off to work. But maybe next friday, is everything is done right, Ill have to get the SPL measured again.

Acutally so far, Im happy with how the ported/vented sounds. Im sure it will sound much better once its tuned right. I still have to adjust the frequency and the imput on the amp, after I do that, should be sounding even better. But even now, the bass is still clean and doesnt sound like shit. Ill probably be tuning everything on monday, as for this weekend, its off to work. But maybe next friday, is everything is done right, Ill have to get the SPL measured again.

Definetally! And I would face them forward and push them as far forward as you can for that and fold down your rear seat. Because my seat doesnt fold down, I put my amp rack on the back of the seat.

My back seat doesnt fold down, I wish it did because it would have made some things much easier, but right now, the subs are facing the back of the car, about in the middle of the trunk, facing then forward, as far foward as they will go will really help the SPL? Of course it will only go so far until it hits the rear 6" x 9"'s but how much does that help comapred to how it is now, or is it basically facing them towards the rear of the car just give it more sound, sound better and facing forward is more for SPL, because doesnt facing them towars the rear make them sound better?

BTW what you think Ill be able to hit when I get measured? My one friend told me at like 140, your back window begins to flex, Is that true or is it just :bs:

My back seat doesnt fold down, I wish it did because it would have made some things much easier, but right now, the subs are facing the back of the car, about in the middle of the trunk, facing then forward, as far foward as they will go will really help the SPL? Of course it will only go so far until it hits the rear 6" x 9"'s but how much does that help comapred to how it is now, or is it basically facing them towards the rear of the car just give it more sound, sound better and facing forward is more for SPL, because doesnt facing them towars the rear make them sound better?

BTW what you think Ill be able to hit when I get measured? My one friend told me at like 140, your back window begins to flex, Is that true or is it just :bs:

Sorry about that I was under the impression that all 2 doors had the folding rear seat. So if thats the case DONT put your subs facing froward, trust me I've tried that! you'll get to much cancellation of the sound waves. Facing them forward would only help the spl if your seat folded down to allow the port to fire directly into the cabin of the car. I actually unbolted and folded down my rear seat for last years competition. It was to the point where I was actually considering replacing it with a fold down one, but I didnt.

Well 140 isnt out of the question, I hit 139db last year with two twelves and 700rms, but it really depends on a bunch of factors. I would recommend playing test tones when you get it tested and have them tell you which tone plays the loudest so then you know what frequency your maximum spl output is at if you ever enter a competition.

I've seen cars that were hitting 150db+ and the windos didnt move, it depends on each car, Mine goes like crazy. I had to put weather stripping between it and the high mount break light.

And usually the higher a box is tuned, you gain an increase in SPL but a decrease in SQ, But your 33hz should be pretty good for both. I used a 30hz box last year. And I'll know on the 17th what my current setup will hit. Hopin for 140+.

And I'll know on the 17th what my current setup will hit. Hopin for 140+.

5 days away! :lol: deff interested to see what youll be able to hit, I have the call the place back tomorrow and see when I can stop in to get it done. Although Im not too sure if I should have it tested, of if I should wait a little longer to let the subs fully "break in", whatever you would like to call it, so that the SPL reading will be a little better, or would it not really matter too much.

Do you have to be a member to compete in those events? Ive been wanting to go to them but either they never come to the northeast here or I just cant find out when they do. I cant remember the last time they had like a show with just an SPL test both thingy setup with that type of environment. But Im also shooting for at least 140. I think by the time Aug. rolls around itll be just about time to get it measured again. Gotta lemme know what you get when your system gets tested!

As for the sealed having more punch than a ported, that maybe be so, but after listening to some rock with good bass, double bass, those two 12"s hit pretty hard, even in a ported. Even though I probably could have used a little bigger box it sounds pretty good to me! Plus I was listening to my friends 12 in a sealed box, and it just didnt seem like it was very loud at all. Maybe Im going deaf :lol: I duno but thats just what it sounded like to me. Plus Ive been having my sub set on 0 out of +6 and -6 so I could turn that up for rock which would make it hit even harder, but I guess what Im saying is that I like ported better.

Ya you live in the middle of no where dont you? No, you dont need to be a member of anything to compete. Just show up, pay your entry fee and have a good time. Its a good place to get ideas as there are always guys there who are willing to share their secrets.

Its a blast. And at that show I posted, it should be a good one because its a 2x event all the local big boys will be out to compete. Its always fun to see how you compare to other setups.

• 1 month later...

I have a 96 gp and I have two audio baun 12's closed box.. they sound even more almazing with the windows down, but the closed box vibrates the mess out of my car. All my trimp peices are falling off and everything. I would recommend a closed for better sound qual... but a ported box can be messed up ever so easy if u dont make it perfect and I am not just talking about putting a hole in ur box and calling it a day.. there is a science to how big and while and the depth of the whole.... I could go on all day about all the spec im me on aim htownboy2k if u need more info!

I duno I dont have very much trim or anything rattling. Ive pretty much taken care of that. But the sound is great. The only complaint I have about the vented/ported box is that when I really blast them, like turn it up insanely loud, you can hear the air moving out of the box. Trenton, as far as the box itself, check out my cardomain for that. I have all the spec and everything I need to know for it. Its a very nice box once you see it.

I duno I dont have very much trim or anything rattling. Ive pretty much taken care of that. But the sound is great. The only complaint I have about the vented/ported box is that when I really blast them, like turn it up insanely loud, you can hear the air moving out of the box. Trenton, as far as the box itself, check out my cardomain for that. I have all the spec and everything I need to know for it. Its a very nice box once you see it.

I will say of all the prefab boxes I've seen, I like the looks of that one the best.

As far as the port noise, can you hear it in the cabin? Cause.....You shouldnt be able to hear that...especially on a 4" slot port running two 12's. My box for my two 12's only had a 2" port and I couldnt hear anything. Port noise is comonlly caused my lack of port length/Port Area. The next time you have the subs out of that box can you get me all the internal dimensions...Cause I am really curious to how they designed it.

The only time that you have actually hear the air moving out of the box, is when you have the trunk open and you blast it and you have you head inside the trunk. Other than that, you cant hear anything, just the subs. Im not sure when Ill be taking the subs out of the box. Im planning on getting the front and rear RSM STB bars, so Ill have to remove the box for that, so maybe Ill get the demensions then for you.

I have had both sealed and ported.....and bandpass, and vented boxes in my Cutlass. With only 580 watts going to your subwoofers i would definitly recommend a VENTED box. With a sealed box in your case, you are looking at a drastically significant loss of bass. Yes, a sealed box would give you a little more accuracy of the notes and a tighter thump on that kick drum....but is it really worth hearing it half as loudly as you could? If you went with a ported box with that silly plastic plug glued into the hole you are going to lose some of my respect. Not to mention you are going to hear bassy tones that are a little funny, and off sounding. Going with a bandpass you are putting yourself into a catagory of teenage, pawn shoppers. Nearly all audio enthusiasts will agree that a bandpass box offers you the worst soundquality, looks, and durability. Unless you are some picky audiophile listening to some old jazz track and expecting the bass to sound like it does on your velodyne at home.....then you will be very happy going with VENTED enclosure.

Right now I have a vented box, very pleased with the performance. Couldnt ask for anything more clear sounding. Plus it is very very loud when I crank it up. bandbass was out of the question. Was not even thinking about one. Frosty4477, Heres a close up picture of the vented box that I have. 803598_98_full.jpg

but like I said, very pleased with how this sounds.

I bet that sounds GREAT. It looks classy too, nice job man. For some reason our cars make subwoofers sound really deep and tight. It could be that they are just built in a very solid way. You agree?

once I find the bolts, Im gonna fix em so theyll never break/fall off :lol: Which ones broke off on you? Just so I can fix those ones. But when I get those measurements, Ill be sure to post them for you. I know you want the inside, but anything else?

Demensions for the box are as follows, All demenions are Internal.

PORT -- 12" High x 3.5" Wide

ONE SIDE (one sub excluding port demensions) -- 13.5" Deep x 13.5" Wide x 13.75" High

WHOLE BOX -- 31.5" Wide x 13.5" Deep x 13.75" High

Like I said, all these demensions where Internal. I didnt remove a sub so they might be +/- .25" at most.

Demensions for the box are as follows, All demenions are Internal.

PORT -- 12" High x 3.5" Wide

ONE SIDE (one sub excluding port demensions) -- 13.5" Deep x 13.5" Wide x 13.75" High

WHOLE BOX -- 31.5" Wide x 13.5" Deep x 13.75" High

Like I said, all these demensions where Internal. I didnt remove a sub so they might be +/- .25" at most.

Is that 3.5" wide and 12" long? Do the port walls go off in either direction like a "L" shape? And if so how long are each section of the L ?

Basically this is one I can figure from your numbers...This is the internal of the box......I need to know how long A and B are.

untitled.jpg

The port is 12" High and 12" long. for you measurement for "B". There is no "A". It doesnt "L" or anything. The end of the port, towards the back of the box, are shaved like a U, maybe rounded off would be a better term than shaved but o well :lol: Theres also what seems to be a .25" gap/space on the bottom of the port. Between the bottom of the port and the box. There is no gap/space on the top though.