Power sterring pump question - Update at bottom

Psych0matt

So, I took a corner kinda hard (harder than normal, but not insane) cuz I was screwing around and whatnot, and afterward my ps pump is noisy (but it seems to perform normally). I let it sit for like 10 or 15 minutes and started it back up, and it was quieter, but still noticeablly louder than before. Is this something to worry about, or should I add some fluid or anything, or should I just wait a while and see if it gets better tonight?

Probably starting to wear out.

When I replaced the one on my 88 GP (was leaking badly) I put a used one one which was still loud. Drove it several thousand K like that without any problems.. just a little noisy.

hmmm, after topping it off (didnt help at the time) i gave up thinking it was on the way out, but I jumped in an hour later to go to work and everything is all better! :willynilly:

ok I lied, its leaking now :-/

EDIT: So, I add fluid (a full bottle) to it and it's fine for a day or two, but then it slowly leaks out and gets all noisy and such. does anybody have any idea what it might be, or more importantly suggestions on how to fix it?

• 2 months later...
the same thing is going on with my car. I can't see any obvious area where it is leaking. this fuckin sucks. Where the heck is the most common place that leaks?

The most common place is the pressure line. You can identify this line as it screws into the pump, it doesn't clamp onto a nipple.

For both of you I bet it is the pressure line. It is either that or the pump. The pump will whine whenever it is low on fluid, or is going bad. Replace the pressure line, and if this doesn't fix it, you will need a new pump. But you should always replace the pressure line when you do a pump, so may as well do that first to see if that is it.

haha, yes, it was my pressure line. I have since replaced that, the alternator (again about a year after i did it before) and blew my engine (i think) because of the water pump going out, so it sits at home. hooray my old thread! :willynilly: