hu light replacement

stockgp

i've got a few bulbs burnt out in my 97 cutlass hu.i'm thinking maybe i could just solder l.e.d.s in their place. so, what's the voltage to those little bulbs? less than 12v? there's no way i'd have enough room behind the face plate to solder in an l.e.d. and a resistor in each spot.

are you wanting a brighter light? if not, its easier just to solder a regular bulb. i have a writeup ill have to search for if you want it. its really easy. its for the display light only.

these bulbs are for the button and knob illumination. and they lights have to be red some way or another. the bulbs had little blue gel sleeves on them, but since i've made the rest of the stuff in my car red to look like it's pontiac equipment, i want the head unit buttons and knobs to match also.

they make tiny red leds. the only way to determine the voltage of the light bulb circuit is with a multimeter. how you will find it out i have no idea. if the radio is anything like a laptop it should be leds can handle the voltage.

The bulbs see 12V. If you can find where the 12V to the bulbs is supplied, you can add a single resistor there. Only issue with doing that is you would have to replace ALL bulbs with LEDs since the existing bulbs would become dim.