This is a lot of work!

eclipse5302

I decided to polish the compressor housing for the T25 in my TurboSTE. I'll probably put a final coat of polish on it and try to take some more of the scratches out, but it looks pretty good!

polished-t25-1.jpg

polished-t25-2.jpg

Jason

I started with 150 grit and fully sanded the whole thing. Then I moved to 220, then 320, then 800. Then used rubbing compound and finally polishing compound.

Jason

You guys should try sandblasting alot faster :D

Sandblasting aluminum? 8)

I think someone at the clubgp board sandblasted their crosslace wheels, are those aluminum?

Maybe sandblasted them to remove old paint...

But the idea to is smooth the surface, and by nature sandblasting (or any kind of blasting) wouldn't do the trick. Really the only way is to sand, sand, sand. It's a lot of work on a part that essentially doesn't have any flat areas, and a lot of small hard to reach areas.

I've also polished the top of my TGP plenum. Check it out

polished-plenum-1.jpg

polished-plenum-2.jpg

It's hard to see with the lighting, but it looks nice! And it was a lot easier than the turbo.

Jason

I am going to beed blast mine to clean it then i am going to see if i can beed blast it with a pollishing bead (thats how the pollish the jet coating). if so it will shine up ALLOT better then i can do by hand. if not i am going to powder coat it.

RedZ

Guest TurboSedan

i'm doing the same thing to my TGP plenum right now. when i got it looked like total crap, but after some mothers aluminum polish and a foam/sandpaper scrubber (forgot grit), it looks WAAAAY better. for the black part around the '3.1 Intercooled Turbo', i think i'm going to use Testor's flat black enamel. i'll probably do the valve covers soon too, or at least the front one.

joshua

Jason - it's lookin' good!

I just did the plenum like the turbo. 220 grit, then 320, then 800. No scratches now, because they will show up easily once it's polished. The surface should be glass smooth. Then polish with Mothers or Flitz polish. I used a Dremel with a polishing drum, but even hand polishing will work--though not as good.

Jason

i'm doing the same thing to my TGP plenum right now. when i got it looked like total crap, but after some mothers aluminum polish and a foam/sandpaper scrubber (forgot grit), it looks WAAAAY better. for the black part around the '3.1 Intercooled Turbo', i think i'm going to use Testor's flat black enamel. i'll probably do the valve covers soon too, or at least the front one.

joshua

Jason - it's lookin' good!

I can powder coat things CHEAP! if your interested. i can do a chrome powder caoting.. it will look like pollished alluminum and will not get dull.

Let me know if your interested.

Shane

Guest TurboSedan
I can powder coat things CHEAP! if your interested. i can do a chrome powder caoting.. it will look like pollished alluminum and will not get dull.

Let me know if your interested.

Shane

cool, i might do that. probably both exhaust manifolds, lower intake, plenum, crossover, valve covers, intercooler pipes, and maybe even the timing cover.... still tho, i'm not going to be able to afford it for awhile yet. how much to powdercoat the plenum tho? i want it to look like it did when it was new.

joshua

Dam good work. Now that I know how you polished it I will get to work removing the crud off my trans, turbo compressor, timing cover , and maybe the rims and give them a good polish job with a protecting coat. GOOD JOB.

BTW it's my first post here. I was posting in the other TGP site(Waskies'). I hope to get some good info here.

Hey!

Thanks for the compliments. Good to see you here finally.

Oh, and can you email me the pic you have of the twin turbo 3.1? Do you have a nice high resolution one?

Jason

I got it thanks. What do you know about that thing? What kind of car, turbos, engine mods, etc? I'm thinking of writing Hod Rod Mag and asking them about it.

Jason

I don't realy know much about it other than I found it on the page. I looks like it has a TPI TB, Custom intake manifold, Steel exhaust pipes, verry nice aluminum intake pipes, the turbos look like GN turbos to me. It might be a beretta or a cavi. since it don't have a dogbone mount on it. I'm sure it might be a 3.1 or maybe a 3.2 (stroked/overbored). It still has aluminum heads cuz of the valve covers. The boost control silenoid is in front of the cruse control. Who knows, it might be one of Mclarens other creations that GM pulled the plug on. Either way, I want that chip!

Might be one of the ones did by Ryan Falconer Racing, said to have around 700 to 800 hp, can you see if it is an iron or aluminum block, or is the block painted red?? Falconer did a lot of pro racing setups of the 3.1L and some variations of it, running Cosworth Pistons, Carrillo Rods, Forged Short Stroke Cranks (short like Honda/others motor cycle engines, not like Harley’s longer stroke/no high revs, high spinning instead of low grunt with not much high hp rev range). Send me a pic and I will see what I can tell.

Jeff M