Do I need alignment with new tires?

sl3196

Well finally got myself some new tires. (Falken ZIEX 512 225/60 R16 V rated) Now when I get these mounted should I get an alignment with it? The tires on it now are wearing kind of wierd. Both back tires have a bald ring on the inner edge of the tire. And the fronts seem to have a bald ring forming on the outside of the tire. The car drives perfectly straight.

i would at least get a front end alignment.

good choice on tires.

Yeah I guess I should get the rear done too since those tires are wearing weird.

Picked up the whole set for $260 shipped!

Definitely align it. If there is a problem the new tires might become "cupped" then you will get vibrations and then it'll suck. For the extra $50 or so, I'd personally do it.

• 2 weeks later...

if you've got inside edge ware on the rears, and outside edge ware on the fronts, I'd HIGHLY suggest a 4-wheel alignment, make sure they align the engine cradle, ask if they know how to do that, then make sure you have them set the camber, ask for a printout of the alighment before and after results, if you see no change, or extremely little change in the camber measurements, take it back and tell them to complete the work you paid for, and watch them if you have to.

I personally do at least 10 alignments a week at the shop I work at (I work two days a week) and the only time I do just a toe-alignment is if that's all the customer pays for, or if they have damaged parts and don't want to fix those things first.

--Dave.

On a side note, very nice choice on tires. I just got myself a set of the 512 Ziex's that are 225/50R15. Tell me how your are wearing.....rapid treadwear is my only fears with these tires.....

-SmoothSteve

On a side note, very nice choice on tires. I just got myself a set of the 512 Ziex's that are 225/50R15. Tell me how your are wearing.....rapid treadwear is my only fears with these tires.....

-SmoothSteve

My dad put these same tires on his TGP (except in 245/50/16). The car won't even spin these tires under normal driving conditions (it has to be raining, or you have to brake torque it, although if you brake torque it it will smoke the shit out of them), but they have about 15,000 miles, maybe a little less of pretty much highway driving on them and they are half worn out. (maybe a little more) Not too good of treadwear, but not too bad if you take it easy on them...they are pretty sticky too if you couldn't tell from my description of it not being able to burn them off.

Shawn