About 3.4 Engine

chadz34

Is the junkyard guy an idiot?  

1. 1. Is the junkyard guy an idiot?

Me and my buddy found a few 3.4L engines. The guy at the junkyard says they're blown becuase the are missing timing belts. However I noticed that the engines are ''non-interference'' so that means the engines are not ''blown'' so we are going to buy one and repair it (add a timing belt). While, he said they're blown I know they aren't. Is it possible for one to blow from a timing belt incident. I've heard of people snapping the belt while driving and it hasn't ruined the motor. But I need re-assurance before I spend my 150$ that you cannot blow a DOHC from a snapped timing belt. I'm sure that the guy at the junkyard is an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about becuase he said it was an interference engine.

Thanks for the help

Chazizal & Harrish

It is possible to bend the vavles. 91-95 is not interference but it is possible for the valves to be trash if the belt went, especially at high RPM. 96/97 was rumored to be interference but I'm reading how more and more people are finding these 96/97 engines to not be interference. If you find a 96/97 you should be sure to rip the intakes and fuel lines off as they will swap on and give you a nice HP boost. You would have to do a compression check on the cylinders to find out if all the valves are ok.

i'd love to know how you blew your timing belt, then drove it to the shop....

:lol: That's what I was wondering. I read that and then did a small double-take. :lol:

i'd love to know how you blew your timing belt, then drove it to the shop....

:lol: That's what I was wondering. I read that and then did a small double-take. :lol:

maybe his shop is down hill from his house so he put the car in neutral and coasted down to his shop :lol:

i'm sure he pushed it while someone steered...how else would he get it to the shop?

:bash: :bash:

you try pushing a w-body to a shop its not an easy task since a w-body weighs 3300+ pounds. :lol:

i'm sure he pushed it while someone steered...how else would he get it to the shop?

:bash: :bash:

you try pushing a w-body to a shop its not an easy task since a w-body weighs 3300+ pounds. :lol:

I agree with that. I know it was a bitch trying to roll my old Euro backwards out of parking spaces, being that reverse was out, and not every parking lot I drove in had a spot where I could pull through... :lol: That sucked ass.

91-95 are non interference, but from what I understand, at higher RPM's it could be. 96-97 are supposed to be interference, but i've been hearing of t-belts breaking (this at lower RPM) and nothing getting damaged.

when the belt broke i was a couple miles from home and the shop is 1/2 mile or so but it was driven there had no power at all and sounded bad. at the time i didn't know it was a non interference motor. i had the shop pull the heads and sent to a machine shop thinking the worst. but they said no bent valves. the machine shop ended up doing an angle cut valve job for me. after that i knew what to expect for the next break. when i sold my Z34 it had gone 260,000 miles and about 4 altenators and 2 belts.

sorry i should have explained it a little better in the first post i made.

hmm...it must have jumped time...i fixed a contour where i work that did the same thing...it ran, but like shit and you had to keep a foot on the gas and one on the brake to move it...