AWD Tranny from Minivans

JoroCorona

Do you think with alittle fabrication i could make my lumina AWD. Have the tranny built up and get the drive line components.

I guess all I'm asking is if it will bolt up to the 3.4 DOHC?

awd astro's and awd windstars

the big 3 all had awd mini vans

how ever if you want to AWD a w I would get a tranny from the buick wtf it is. or pontiacs ASS-TEC they are primary FWD like the subarus so it would make it easyer to mount in a W

Hmmm... But the quesionis if the Asteks tranny will mount to the 3.4DOHC.

And the tranny I was originally looking at was for a montana.

oh and the montana Tranny might work being they where mainly Fwd look to see how the motor is mounted if its sideways like in a W and not front to back like a RWD I would think it should mount.

*Rubs hands together maniacly*

:twisted:

Sounds like the next thing after the SCer.

Whats the specs on that tranny? Does anyone know if it would deal with 300 hp after a nice rebuild and shift kit?

Do you think with alittle fabrication i could make my lumina AWD. Have the tranny built up and get the drive line components.

I guess all I'm asking is if it will bolt up to the 3.4 DOHC?

*looks into crystal ball*

*sees clouded images of diff/gears strewn everywhere as if they were driven through sheetmetal and cast aluminum*

*wait, that's not clouds..it's smoke..the clutch bands are on fire*

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for W ingenuity, but I don't think that tranny would live long behind an LQ1. That & it'd be a nightmare fabbing the unibody to accept the rear diff/driveshaft/suspension.

awd astro's and awd windstars

the big 3 all had awd mini vans

how ever if you want to AWD a w I would get a tranny from the buick wtf it is. or pontiacs ASS-TEC they are primary FWD like the subarus so it would make it easyer to mount in a W

Astro =! minivan. or at least for some reason I don't consider it one.

You sure about the Windstar?

Guest TurboSedan

i seriously doubt you could get the AWD Chrysler transmission to work. i think it's an A604 btw.

didn't the AWD 6000 use a 3T40? rather weak i've heard.

The rear drivetrain, suspension, etc... would really be about the hardest part to fabricate. You will then hope that the driveshaft will fit in the exhaust cut-out, then figure out where you will run your exhaust at.

Physically, the transmission will bolt up. It is a GM 60* V6, they all share the same bellhousing. I would be worried though about the power going through all of that though, and will it be strong enough to go to the higher RPM's that the 3.4 DOHC does?

Your best bet would be to a 3X00 W-body car. Less power that the AWD drivetrain has allready been proven to handle.

So the versatrak is mated to the 4t65e.

They make a multiutude of parts for the 4t65e, I'm sure I could upgrade that tranny to deal with the power that I'm planning on putting down with my 3.4.

You sure about the Windstar?

There has never been any AWD windstars, only Aerostars, which are RWD based like the Astro.

I knew it was one of those two Im not a big ford guy so I couldnt remember the name right off the top of my head...

FORD=For Only Retarded Drivers

It would take a good deal of work, but the 4T65-E AWD (Versatrak) is the tranny they used on the AWD Grand Prix GPX300 or whatever it was called.

They had to do modifications to the fuel tank, and for some reason, it was difficult to fuel up the car (had to back the ass end up onto some phone books or something). In that car, they mated the tranny to an FWD LS1. I think it would work, but would take a good deal of fabrication. It would be a whole lot less fabrication than a full-out RWD conversion though.

Main problem is it's still a tiny tranny... now the tiny tranny has to drive 4-wheels instead of 2. You'd probably have to baby it to prevent breaking it.

It would take a good deal of work, but the 4T65-E AWD (Versatrak) is the tranny they used on the AWD Grand Prix GPX300 or whatever it was called.

They had to do modifications to the fuel tank, and for some reason, it was difficult to fuel up the car (had to back the ass end up onto some phone books or something). In that car, they mated the tranny to an FWD LS1. I think it would work, but would take a good deal of fabrication. It would be a whole lot less fabrication than a full-out RWD conversion though.

Main problem is it's still a tiny tranny... now the tiny tranny has to drive 4-wheels instead of 2. You'd probably have to baby it to prevent breaking it.

If I were to build up the tranny, would the AWD components hold up. I was mainly worried about the viscous clutch that drives the rears and such giving up. I'm not really worried about the tranny itself.

And hell, I alittle fabrication never killed anyone on this site.

I don't know about the AWD transfer case, but it almost looks like the t-case could be bolted onto a regular ol' 4T65-E HD. The tranny is still natively FWD, so if the rear end gave out, it could probably be limped home in FWD.

steyr-4T65E-sm.jpg

The transfer case assembly consists of a four-piece aluminum housing, an input helical gear assembly (carrier) (1), an idler helical gear (2), and a hypoid bevel gear set which consists of two shaft assemblies supported by tapered roller bearings (4). The design of this component changes power output from transverse to longitudinal and also positions the propeller shaft assembly near the centerline of the vehicle. The propeller shaft assembly (mated to the output flange of the transfer case) is constantly rotating and spins at a rate equal to an average of the two front wheels.

The transfer case is mated to the right side of the 4T65-E automatic transmission. Two types of lubricant are used within the transfer case: automatic transmission fluid for the three helical gear set and a unique hypoid gear oil for the bevel gears. Two oil seals, internal to the case (3) separate the two types of fluid.