Steering Wheel Controls w/ Aftermarket H.U.

runt

This is for the soon to be owned '01.

I know that if you use an aftermarket HU, you lose those controls. Well, I don't want that. :lol:

So I always thought that some company was making kits for that, where is bascially went between the HU and the wiring harness in the car and allowed those controls to work. Or am I wrong?

Thanks,

Jeremy

PAC SWI-X

I put one on my car, I was surprised how easy it was to get up and working :thumbsup:

It may look intimidating, but I only had to use the green wire onto the steering wheel controls, and the +/- wires for the unit. Then you program the buttons for what you want it to do by using your HU's remote control.

Got mine off ebay. :wink:

Can you program those SoundGates or are the button defaults what you get? I like how I can customize the PAC SWI-X to use whatever buttons I want (especially since it's MP3 so I can browse the folders easily).

are these laser pickup, or do they operate like the original steering wheel controls? i got rid of my hu and went with a cutlass cd player so i could have use of my steering wheel controls again. if i could get a kit that i wouldn't have to put in laser pickups or something like that in, i would get another aftermarket hu (1.5 din this time, i hate the way single din dash kits look.).

They have their functions pre-programmed. All you have to do is set a couple of dip-switches to match your car with your deck and away you go.

What I like most about the SoundGate is when I press "source" on my steering wheel, it cycles through "CD" and "Tuner" with each press (the Pioneers have one button for each source on the remote.) That wouldn't be possible with the PAC.

I suppose if you want to customize your buttons, the PAC would be best...

What I like most about the SoundGate is when I press "source" on my steering wheel, it cycles through "CD" and "Tuner" with each press (the Pioneers have one button for each source on the remote.) That wouldn't be possible with the PAC.

I have the PAC SWI-X and I programmed the source button to cycle between CD and tuner. It wasn't real straight-forward though. I had to use a JP1 enabled One For All remote and program into it the CD/tuner toggle code from my PC. Then all I had to do was teach the SWI-X using my OFA remote. OFA remotes and JP1 cables aren't very expensive, less than the price difference between a PAC and SoundGate.

Be aware also if you have climate controls on your steering wheel, the SoundGate will NOT allow those to work. I really preferred the Soundgate REMPIOGM's ability to control a Pioneer via cable rather than IR, but then the climate control buttons on the steering wheel wouldn't have worked.

For a non-Sony/Pioneer stereo that MUST be controlled via IR, I think the PAC is a lot more flexible and it's $40 cheaper.

PAC comes with a bunch of resistors which I think are for the Climate controls. I didn't have to use them obviously.

you put this in your '95, or your '88?

I installed it into my '89 and didn't need the resistors, but it said for the airbag wheels the resistors were needed for the radio controls. But I could be mistaken, it was a while back. The PAC SWIX was a great unit though! I still have it around just in case :lol:

PAC comes with a bunch of resistors which I think are for the Climate controls. I didn't have to use them obviously.

you put this in your '95, or your '88?

I installed it into my '89 and didn't need the resistors, but it said for the airbag wheels the resistors were needed for the radio controls. But I could be mistaken, it was a while back. The PAC SWIX was a great unit though! I still have it around just in case :lol:

In my 95. I never tried it in my 88 although I wish I had one at the time. :)

Hmmm, my SWI-X didn't come with resistors and it didn't need them for the climate control to work.

I bought mine awhile back though, maybe they changed something.