Steering arms won't come off?

rshissler

I've been tring for almost an hour now and i can't seem to get the steering arms off? Is there a special way u have to take them off or am i missing something. i got the nut off the bottom

:lol: ...ok...you takin off the outters then!?...make sure you losen the jam nut before you pop it ou too...anywayz, what i do is get a big ass hammer and beat the piece it goes into a few times...usually pops right out...or you could go to a parts or tool store and buy a pickel fork (thats what us hillbilly's call it...not sure if thats the real name...lol) you just pound it in between the tie rod and the piece it goes into...

Yeah I watched my friend's dad disconnect the tie rod ends...he cranks the steering wheel to the right when he is popping the left side off and vice versa.

He had that tool mentioned above but he said he didn't want to fuck up the rubber boots around it or something...(this was on my friends 96 cavy) so he beat it with a sludge hammer and it popped out.

- Jeff L.

I believe it is actually called a pickle fork. If you intend to re-use the tie rod end, then you have to hammer it out. If you are replacing the tie rod, then a pickle fork is the way to go. You aren't supposed to use a pickle fork if you intend to re-use the tie rod, because the chances of tearing the rubber ball joint with a fork is highly likely.

Guest TurboSedan
BTW: WHY THE HELL IS THIS IN THE POWERTRAIN SECTION!?...

how bout steering/suspension/tires/wheels...that'd prolly be more appropriate! :wink:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they can be a total whore to get undone, the fork will likely ruin your tie rod end, so i'd spary some pb blaster or wd40 or whatever up where the bolt goes into the strut tower and beat the crap out of it with a BFH.