locked rear calipers

rudefyet

So...is there any trick to unlock the rear calipers?

I tried compressing the pistons by wedging a screwdriver between the rotor/pad, but the screwdriver woulda broke before that thing budged

get new ones. IMO it's not worth the time and agrivation trying to get more life out of already smoked callipers because they will break again and chew up pads and rotors excessively fast. they are about $32 a pop, so spend that and you will be much happier.

one thing i have done is using a air compressor and the air blower attatchment for the hose....you blow compressed air into the caliper insides and i have got the pistons to free up......

I have done the same thing. I did this to test to make sure the calipers were still in good working condition.

get new ones. IMO it's not worth the time and agrivation trying to get more life out of already smoked callipers because they will break again and chew up pads and rotors excessively fast. they are about $32 a pop, so spend that and you will be much happier.

I'm not planning on keeping them, i'm just getting an annoying grinding cause what used to be a brake pad, is constantly rubbing the brake disc

I'm half tempted to take off the rear discs as a temporary fix, this is all just temporary, i have no $ to change it all out, at least not for a couple weeks, i just want to get rid of the damn noise they make until then

well i got $200 today

time for new rear brakes!

cool 8)

How did ya come across the money?

Sometimes when i get really bored I do work for my parents, and they pay me pretty good

Can you replace just one caliper or do you have to replace them in pairs? My drivers side rear one occasionally locks up (I don't get it) and will start to smoke out of the wheel well. I thought that they were either seized or now seized. Any ideas?

Paul

As a rule of thumb, it's generally best to replace them in pairs. However, if you can't afford it, you can do just one.

W-bodies have the crappiest brake design known to man, in my opinion.

I've done 'em one at a time with no problems.

88-93 rear calipers are the worst. If they're not seized, they leak brake fluid out that weep hole or whatever it is in the middle of the piston bore. I never understood why that hole was even there.