any steering column tricks?

cutlsp

What do you mean, just reinstalling it or swapping parts on the column too??

If you took it off and need to put it back on just plug in the harness and pop in the bolts, fairly straightforward.

More details please...

well for the life of me i can't get the steering wheel part bolted back into the shaft(that goes to the steering gear box) how am i suppose to do that? or am i just screwed to where i have to take the column back out to put it back together? :bash:

You pulled the steering column?

Lord have mercy on your soul.

Ok. I don't know why you asked since getting it in is the same as pulling it out, but basically one of two things will happen.

1) The flexable coupling from the steering rack has a hole of a decent diameter and the new shaft will slide right in.

2) It won't. Get another seat of hands, a hammer and a large screwdriver or three and pray you get lucky.

If it turns out to be the second, try lubing up the shaft some how. It's something I hadn't thought of when I did mine. Things slide in easier when they're lubed up :wink:

IMG_5887Small.jpg

That right? (except in the car)

Lube the steering shaft, get a screwdriver (a BEEF screw driver. That coupling shit does NOT give easily, so don't go bending the hell out of half your screwdrivers) jammed into the opening on the side of the flex coupling (so you can pry it open a bit) and try holding that boot out of the way.

Cutting the boot helps a bit

IMG_5892Small.jpg

One thing I tried, was I supported the column from the dash by zip ties from each bolt point - not tight, just hanging down. It allowed me to put less effort into moving the column into place while trying to focus mainly on the coupling.

Guest TurboSedan

that's exactly how i replaced mine. like Gutless i also cut the boot so i could see the coupler (helps alot) and another set of hands is a must! i don't think i could do the job by myself.

good luck

When I swapped out my column, I was able to fold the boot back a bit and didn't need to cut it.

I mounted the column to the dash first, then after folding the boot back grabbed the coupling with a RoboGrip pliers, wedged the screwdriver into the opening of the coupling and pounded on it with a hammer to pry the clamp open. It was fairly easy to slide the coupling onto the shaft after that. Just make sure you keep holding onto the clamp with the RoboGrip (I suppose a pair of Channel Locks would work as well) after you get it onto the shaft while you install the bolt...

So is that different than 88-90something Grand Prix? I had trouble slipping that part in too, but it was cause the bolt or whatever.. I can't really remember anymore :roll:

Guest TurboSedan

should be basically the same for all 1st GEN W-bodies. i have a '93 Lumina Euro steering column in my Cutlass and it bolted right in & plugged right in.