torque specs on rocker studs?

GutlessSupreme

Anyone know? Can't find it in my service manual.

And the rocker nuts are 18 lb-fts right?

3100 (stamped) rockers on 3.1 heads if it makes a difference.

When I put in my rockers studs, I couldnt find a spec either. I did somewhere around 40 flt-lbs and red loctite. Not sure what 3100 rocker nut spec is. 3.1L is 18, like you mentioned.

Guest TurboSedan

i tightened mine to 20 ft/lbs with the lifter on the base lobe of the camshaft. i don't have 3x00 rockers though so that probably doesn't help you much...

good luck

hmm. I have a problem with over torquing to make sure things are secure.. I went to 80 on them :? hope that won't fuck anything up.

$10 torque wrench so who knows how accurate it was anyway. Still.. put them way up there :?

Wait, you tightened the rocker nuts to 80/ ft. lbs? You are way to tight there, you will most likely damage something. The GM manual for 1989 3.1L in my car was 18 ft. lbs for the rocker nuts.

Self adjusting rockers usually torque to 18-25 Ft lbs. That is only from my experience with a number of various GM engines.

What you torque 3100 rockers to depends on which type of rockers they are. In 95- maybe 96 the rockers and rocker studs were integrated together. That is no separate stud, rocker ball, and nut. It was one piece with the stud bolt being the only thing to be tightened.

In the case of these type of rockers you tighten the rocker bolt to 89 INCH POUNDS or 10 Nm plus an additional 30 degrees of rotation.

On the 3100s with the typical rocker, ball, nut setup.

You tighten the rocker nut to 18 Ft Lbs or 25 Nm plus an additional 30 degrees of rotation.

If I hadn't looked that up at work yesterday, we'd be up shit creek :lol:

That torque spec is pure bullshit (whatever it may or may not be).......just tighten to well snug.

Eh, It's what AllData(SOMEData) and my chiltons manual both said. However people will generally do what they want. I just provide what I know.

Wait, you tightened the rocker nuts to 80/ ft. lbs?

No... the nuts ended up around 20 (give or take - who knows with the wrench used). The studs went to 80.

Self adjusting rockers usually torque to 18-25 Ft lbs. That is only from my experience with a number of various GM engines.

What you torque 3100 rockers to depends on which type of rockers they are. In 95- maybe 96 the rockers and rocker studs were integrated together. That is no separate stud, rocker ball, and nut. It was one piece with the stud bolt being the only thing to be tightened.

In the case of these type of rockers you tighten the rocker bolt to 89 INCH POUNDS or 10 Nm plus an additional 30 degrees of rotation.

On the 3100s with the typical rocker, ball, nut setup.

You tighten the rocker nut to 18 Ft Lbs or 25 Nm plus an additional 30 degrees of rotation.

If I hadn't looked that up at work yesterday, we'd be up shit creek :lol:

they're not the roller rockers. they're stamped, with the stud, ball, nut and arm all seperate pieces - just like the earlier ones. just higher ratio.

I honestly don't know what harm could come of the studs being tightened that much.. only thing I could see possibly coming of it is that I could over-torque and strip the heads, but it sure didn't feel like that happened.

That torque spec is pure bullshit (whatever it may or may not be).......just tighten to well snug.

That's exactly what I did on mine. No problems yet, and this is after a roadtrip too, no problems at all.

Glad to hear they're working out for you, they served me well. :D