steering wheel?

Stealth

ok this is pissing me off the steering wheel has so much play its crazy and the front plate on the steering wheel squicks becuase its so loose, how do I get it off to tighten it? its this one here

490211_10_full.jpg

Two screws from the back of the two posts that hold the rim to the wheel, then it pulls off. One main elec. connector for the steering wheel controls, and the push and twist horn contact.

omg this is so bullshit, I had to go back to the store twice to get the right lenth bit and I go tit off theres no way to tighten it, the front plate is connected to the back plate witch isnt held in by anything so it just semms loose. also theres alot of up and down play in the wheel itself but the lugs tight so it must be inside someware :x

What exactly do you mean by plate, the part with the horn? And back plate is the hard plastic piece behind the wheel?

I'm kind of remembering, I think the plastic piece in the back is anchored to the metal part of the steering wheel by some plastic clips. There's normally 4 of them. On my steering wheel, the 2 top ones were broken off so I used generous amounts of Permatex adhesive silicone to permanently glue the back piece to the metal part. Cured Permatex clear RTV silicone is the strongest adhesive I've ever found, and it works great. I even applied generous amounts of it to the metal frame of the wheel anywhere that it came close to the plastic back piece. It worked so good, it's been many years and I even forgot that I had to glue it on.

You brought back memories of the entire horn and back assembly being able to flop around when I touched the center of the steering wheel. It's sounding like you have the same problem I had.

I think he's describing play in the column itself, like the tilt mechanism. I just explained it in another thread, but you have to have some confidence/knowledge if you're gonna dig this deep.

accualy your both right the horn assembly and back plastic moves alot but the steering wheel itself also has play but it seems like its inside the colum itself cause when I had the front off there was nothign loose anyware, how ahrd of a job is it to fix that? also im gonan be puttign a new turn signal switch in probably do I need a steerign wheel puller or do I just take that 21?? mm nut off and pull?

It doesn't take much distance in pulling the wheel but it does take a puller for the first bit of tugging. A few turns of the bolts and it pops loose. You can probably borrow it from any shop you've been to before.

000_0117a.jpg 000_0119a.jpg