Favourite Detailing Brand

91GranSport

Exterior- mothers clay bar, meguiars cleaner wax (sometimes mothers cleaner wax)

Interior: Tuff Stuff for carpet, Lexol for leather, Vinylex for plastics and vinyl (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

Glass- water mixed with a few drops of dish liquid

Underhood- Castrol Super clean (Works fantastic on the areas around the starter and transmission, also you should see how great the master cylinder looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I definetly want to use that bar keeper's friend on my windows! I was looking for a way to get the water spots off my windshield, but I just got a stress crack in it!! Time to get another one under warranty!

because I didn't want to get jumped on for being stupid. I've done many waxes from 100% carnuba to recent Maguire's. I had just washed my car 2 weeks ago and ended up with a clean rag with WD-40.

My car had developed that "not shiney" film again that cleaner waxes do a fair job on (it's dark garrnet red)...and I happened to rub the WD-40 into the rear of the trunk. The film came off, leaving a noticably dirty rag. I knew I was removing any wax layer left on in but it looked and shined like new. After it looked like no paint problems I rubbed down the whole rear of the car. It seriously looked like glass.

Any downfalls to this other than needing a good washing before rewaxing?

because I didn't want to get jumped on for being stupid. I've done many waxes from 100% carnuba to recent Maguire's. I had just washed my car 2 weeks ago and ended up with a clean rag with WD-40.

My car had developed that "not shiney" film again that cleaner waxes do a fair job on (it's dark garrnet red)...and I happened to rub the WD-40 into the rear of the trunk. The film came off, leaving a noticably dirty rag. I knew I was removing any wax layer left on in but it looked and shined like new. After it looked like no paint problems I rubbed down the whole rear of the car. It seriously looked like glass.

Any downfalls to this other than needing a good washing before rewaxing?

Have you tried washing the area with dish soap to remove the wax buildup? Dont feel to bad, when my mom had her tan metallic 82 Caprice Wagon, the hood was so faded that I regularly sprayed and rubbed Wd40 on it, looked like new! lol

Guest Anonymous

Brian, you will still get water spots with the bar keepers friend. I get rid of them by either drying the glass before spots apear or get one of the water blade/squeegee things to get the water off.

Guest Anonymous

I tried something on my wheels the other day and I'll probably get laughed at for it. The crosslace wheels are such a pain to clean in between all the laces. I sprayed BBQ grill cleaner on them and let it foam up. Hosed them off and it took almost everything off including between the laces.Now I need to get more so I can clean the insides.

And with crosslace wheels :) you could cook on them if you wanted! I think they'll fit just right over a round charcoal grill! Nah but seriously as long as the cleaner doesnt stay on long enough it shouldnt damage the clear coat.

lol and if you decide to barbecue, I like my burgers medium! I'll bring the beer

so what do you use to do your windows?

This is what I use for the outside of my windows.

Go to Wal-mart and look in the houshold cleaner isle. Look for the comet and somewhere near it you will find a gold can the size and shape of a comet can. It is called "Bar Keepers Friend". Get a good sponge to go with it. Wet your windows and wet the sponge. Sprinkle the powder on your windows and some on the sponge. Then scrub your windows. Then just rinse with the hose. It will take everything off and it doesn't scratch glass.

You will have to dry the glass or it leaves water spots.

you can use it on the insides also but just use a damp sponge and wipe it back of with a damp towel and then dry.

I use Bon-Ami for glass. The can is 99 cents or less, looks almost the same as BKF, gold with red logo instead of blue. Not all stores carry it. GM specifies Bon-Ami in the owners manual of one of my cars, for removing road film from windshields. When the windshield is clean with Bon-Ami, sprayed on water will run off in a solid "sheet" instead of beading up. I only use BKF on dishes when they have really nasty baked on food. BKF contains oxalic acid, irritates hands, strong stuff, would not allow it to remain on an automotive finish.

What do you guys clean your white raised letters with? The best I've found if Westleys Bleech White but now that I have polished aluminum rims I dont use it because it will spot them. A friend of mine really screwed up a set of polished rims with it. I dont want to do the same.

how do you remove spots on a windshield resulting from rain water sitting on it? My windshield is being replaced in a week, so I'm willing to experiment! PS I already tried 2000 grit wetsanding and it helped a little

I've gotten really good results from Meguiars and Mothers. 3M is good too. From what I've seen, 3M has a LOT of professional products that other brands don't have. Today I was searching for a rubbing compound to remove a scratch from my car and found this really nice medium cut rubbing compound from 3M. Works like a charm! They also have every sealer, glaze, swirl-remover, wax, polish imaginable.