Favourite Detailing Brand

91GranSport

I just want people's opinions on their favourite brand for automotive detailing. I've used Turtle Wax, Simoniz, Mother's, Meguiars and Eagle-1. I like Mothers and Meguiars, though they're both expensive I find them to be some of the best. Eagle-1 is also very good. I don't like Turtle Wax and I really don't like Simoniz. Turtle Wax is all right but their detailing stuff isn't as comprehensive as Mother's or Meguiars. I simply find Simoniz products for the amateur or idiot if you will. Their wax isn't that great and their gel car wash is garbage.

I'd go with Meguires. It's what I use, and it really brings out a great shine.

A lot of people swear by Zaino, it's expen$ive stuff with so many steps you'll need to take vacation from work to get it all done (the whole time not driving your car so it doesn't get dirty). Someone did a comparison between Zaino and Meguires, however, and his opinion was Meguires did better!

I use Zymol, and only Zymol on my regal. Meguires (and mothers) is the best of the "commercial grade" stuff, but if you step up to Zymol, you see a difference. Granted, though, if you're paint isn't new or close to new, you're not gonna see that difference. On my Z34, which has a standard paint job, I simply use mothers, and sometimes even that turtle wax color cure polish, it works quite well on black cars.

Guest Anonymous

I use Mequiars. I use their car wash, liquid wax , and I just used their one-step leather care on this Cutlass I bought. The seats were so dirty and they were starting to get stiff. Wiped one-step leather care on them and they look brand new.(except for that little tear in the drivers seat.) :roll:

well

i should first ask this.

is all meguiars created equally?

ok with that out of the way.

when i purchased my cutty in mid may i followed a thread at GMF about this verry thing.

i made the choice to go with meguiars for starters. so basically i picked up the first meguiars wax i came upon. there was a choice between paste and liquid. i chose liquid. it is called cleaner wax. cost 4.75 or so at walmart. i also grabbed a mitt, bucket, rags and a bottle of meguiars car wash stuff. i think it is the premium or professional stuff. but anyways i liked the results i got with that cleaner wax. then at another store i found the gold stuff. it was 9.75 or so. for now i will stick with what i have. gonna at least run a bottle out before i go switching.

so is their a dif between the two meguiars?

the xymol was like 13 or so for the bottle i saw. i did notice it also said cleaner wax on it.

i have seen zaino, but i forget the cost of it. it was definitely more than the other two.

now slightly different here

what do you clean your windows with?

i have always stuck to windex. then about a year or so ago i found a no drip windex. which is nice as it says put alot longer...but i have noticed that they get dusty pretty quick. the insides get dusty quickly. and then after they get dusty you can see the wipe marks from how you cleaned the windows. and for me that gets annoying. i have this pet peeve about being able to see out the windows.

so what do you use to do your windows?

after reading that thread at GMF i have went to just using light soap and water to clean my interior with.

Monty

Meguires has a prefessional and a consumer line, as you have discovered. Zymol also has a consumer line, which is the $13 cleaner wax you saw. It is, in my opinion, by far the best cleaner wax available. They also have a professional line, but it is hard to find zymol professional dealers. Usually, the carbon wax (which is for black cars) goes for around $40, and the HD Cleanse (pre-wax cleaner) is about $20. They are expensive, yes, but well worth it, and they last for a very long time both on the car as well as you use very little product at a time so a bottle will last you over a year even if you wax once a month (or every 2 weeks like obsesso me)

Guest Anonymous

This is what I use for the outside of my windows.

Go to Wal-mart and look in the houshold cleaner isle. Look for the comet and somewhere near it you will find a gold can the size and shape of a comet can. It is called "Bar Keepers Friend". Get a good sponge to go with it. Wet your windows and wet the sponge. Sprinkle the powder on your windows and some on the sponge. Then scrub your windows. Then just rinse with the hose. It will take everything off and it doesn't scratch glass.

You will have to dry the glass or it leaves water spots.

you can use it on the insides also but just use a damp sponge and wipe it back of with a damp towel and then dry.

I use the Meguires 3 step program every spring, takes a long time but the results are awesome, don't like turtle wax at all, have had no luck with it, I use whatever car wash soap is on sale, as long as it is of some quality, same with tire shine, I use armor all ultra shine on the dash and other interior parts.

I use Zaino Bros. and I am 100 percent satisfied with it after I am done putting it on. It takes forever to put it on but it is worth it for me when i get all kinds of complements on my car. Especially from some one who has the same car as me.

For the tires I use Meguires gold class or something like that. I like it better than eagle one wet stuff. But like all tire polishes it is a magnet for dust. If you put it on once you have to continue to do so or your tires will look like a gravel road.

My windows have some kind of waxy film on them that i cannot get off the only thing that has helped at all was an abrasive cleaner. but I dont like scratching my windows. So what would you guys recommend

This is what I use for the outside of my windows.

Go to Wal-mart and look in the houshold cleaner isle. Look for the comet and somewhere near it you will find a gold can the size and shape of a comet can. It is called "Bar Keepers Friend". Get a good sponge to go with it. Wet your windows and wet the sponge. Sprinkle the powder on your windows and some on the sponge. Then scrub your windows. Then just rinse with the hose. It will take everything off and it doesn't scratch glass.

You will have to dry the glass or it leaves water spots.

you can use it on the insides also but just use a damp sponge and wipe it back of with a damp towel and then dry.

OK i have seen that stuff.

will it damage decals? as i have a banner across my windshield.

will have to try that.

Monty

Guest Anonymous

It hasn't done anything to the decals on my side windows. I think they'll be fine. You don't need to scrub the decal anyway but having it on there won't hurt it any more than what you use to wash your car.

Oh yeah, the runoff from rinsing won't hurt your paint either.

Guest Anonymous

If using the sponge won't get everything off get one of those soft pot scrubbers. They have cloth on one side and a scrubber on the other. That's what I use for the heavy dirt and bugs.

ROLLIN

well is this the 2002 version of smokey and the bandit?

still using a pontiac

i get off at 3:30pm central time...but am trying to bail early so i can go play with car audio stuff 4 hours south of me.

could be done, but would be rough

Monty