power steering going bad?

3.1LUMITIC

well it started about a month ago. I was doing donuts on ice and had it turned to lock for a few seconds.when i released the wheel it jerked back then it acted like it didnt have power steering. A week pasted then the power steering came back now it turns great when i have the rpms up. But if im ideling around a corner it acts like it dont have power steering. I bleed the power steering to see if it had an air bubble but none. i can live with this problem but its very annoy when pulling into a parking spot...

:lol: there IS fluid in it, right!?...

uh uh uh i donno lol yea there is lol i flushed it out to see if it had an air bubble. none came out so i just filled er back up. and no i didnt empty the whole thing out i was filling it as i was draining it.

put some lucas powersteering stuff in it that should quiet down the power steering pump.

and did you turn the wheels from lock to lock 3 times each way? my manual says to do that to get the air out of the system. hope this helps

Maybe there is a kink in a line, or a defective pump or rack. I'd check the rack, it sounds like what happens when the ATF shifts in the case and you try to go around a corner, downshift at WOT and the tranny skips because the fluid doesn't displace correctly.

wtf? now i'm confused where did that come from John? it prolly is the pump but he could try the lucas additive and see if that fixes his car and then bleed the pwr steering system by turning from lock to lock and adding fluid each time he does that. but thats what i sugested he did :?

wtf? now i'm confused where did that come from John? it prolly is the pump but he could try the lucas additive and see if that fixes his car and then bleed the pwr steering system by turning from lock to lock and adding fluid each time he does that. but thats what i sugested he did :?

I bleed the power steering to see if it had an air bubble but none.

If he knew enough to flush it I'd assume he'd know how to bleed it. Anyway, it almost sounds like the engine is near-stalling out when he goes around a corner, that's enough to impact the power steering, my old GP used to do that when I had bad coilpacks after my accident.

i'd just replace the pump and go from there.

:werd: I don't know if you could have siezed the pump or something, but that'd be my first plan of action. I bet with a little social engineering you could get one for $10 at the junkyard.

Iv'e had this happen to me before. The Pressure release Valve is stuck. When you turn the wheels to the lock, the valve opens, and releases the pressure, so you don't blow anything up. There is propbably a piece of grit from inside the fluid reservoire the jammed up the release valve. Pretty easy fix too. Just pull the pump, when you unscrew the High Pressure line, there is also an insert that you can unscrew. Unscrew the insert, and play around with the little piston(valve). It is spring loaded, so it may want to shoot out. When it frees up and comes out, just put it back in and screw the insert back in. Then just put the pump back in the car and hook everything back up.

You can get buff from driving around with no power steering! Lol, when driving my RX-7 around, and then driivng a car with power steering at first I'm like what the hell, the wheels must not be connected to the steering wheel lol!

- Jeff L.

You can get buff from driving around with no power steering! Lol, when driving my RX-7 around, and then driivng a car with power steering at first I'm like what the hell, the wheels must not be connected to the steering wheel lol!

- Jeff L.

I drove my '90 LE around for over 7 months with no power steering. I swear I'm WAY stronger than when I started..

regal gs 1989 so your saying i should remove the lil piston and not reinstall it when it comes out or clean it off then put it back in?

Clean it off, and then put it back in.

i'd just replace the pump and go from there.

:werd: I don't know if you could have siezed the pump or something, but that'd be my first plan of action. I bet with a little social engineering you could get one for $10 at the junkyard.

Or Pocket Engineering....