2.8 oil pan removal?

88Intl

According to the Haynes manual, the transaxle, AC compressor, steering gear pinch bolt, transaxle and engine mount retaining nuts, engine mount bracket, driveplate cover, starter, etc must be removed first before the oil pan. Is this for real? Possible to drop the pan partway to clean the oil pump pickup screen?

Guest Anonymous

The manual on my 3100 says the same thing. If you puts blocks under the tranny you can lower the front of the subframe. I got it down far enough that I could get the bolts out of the splash shield and oil pump. That gave me enough room to pull the oil pan out over the subframe.

Have to work outdoors in 20 degree weather, maybe will try a quick fix...oil & filter change plus two bottles of CD-2 Oil Detergent, run mixture for a little while and change again. Motor flush is likely to kill a motor with 170K especially if sludge is present in the pan. I wonder if its possible to use a spray can of some sort of cleaner solvent with a long extension tube to clean the pickup screen thru the drain plug?

Problem is ticking or knocking noise that gets much worse when warmed up. Not sure if its valves or rod bearings. Making a quick turn and stop causes an oil pressure warning to come on briefly, and the sensor was replaced 6 months ago.

The quick fix seems to have brought oil pressure back up. May have been running for a long time with low oil level due to dipstick :x , which I will add another thread for.