Replaced my struts today .. with loveable pics.

supreme_style21

I noticed no play in the strut/wheel before everything was tightened up. Are you supposed to drill the holes out?

no...you're not supposed to drill em out... :lol: ...so, when you put the bolts throught the knuckle and strut there they were tight?...you couldnt tilt the top of the wheel any?...thats kinda odd...but, thats the reason everyone is recommending an alignment...

I noticed no play in the strut/wheel before everything was tightened up. Are you supposed to drill the holes out?

no...you're not supposed to drill em out... :lol: ...so, when you put the bolts throught the knuckle and strut there they were tight?...you couldnt tilt the top of the wheel any?...thats kinda odd...but, thats the reason everyone is recommending an alignment...

Yeah it was 100% tight. Other people have told me the strut is supposed to move, but I'll be damned if there was room for it to move.

There are the 2 lower strut bolts where it bolts to the knuckle... The top hole will be exact size, but the bottom hole on the strut itself will be a slot instead of a hole. This allows the camber to be adjusted... Also, mine needed some caster when I took it in anyway... somebody must have hit something before I got the car (a big pothole can do it from what I get).

BTW, I too thought my strut mounts were good... I had the same thing happen a couple weeks later that the picture above shows... I made sure to mark everything really well before I took it apart though, and got the slot in the right spot... had it checked... perfect.

Mike

well...is there any way to really tell besides tearing it apart?...

Look under the wheel well. If it looks like this your mount is bad.

shock.jpg

I would not be surprised if mine looked like that! My car is all kindsa squirrley on snow covered roads in the back.

I don't have it because of the freakin turn signal switch crapping out...but i gotta put some new struts on the back anyways