when is Pioneer going to update their 1.5 DIN?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i just got the new Crutchfield and Pioneer is still selling the DEH-P77DH HU!! WTF? i bought my P77DH way back in summer of 2000! i wish they would update it so it could play .mp3 :roll: if you can't tell i'm set on 1.5 DIN size lol.

any other good 1.5 DIN size HUs out there?

I bet they don't sell enough to bother. I really don't expect them to ever update it. It would be nice if they would update it with the OEL display and MP3 playback. An aqua OEL to match the Cutlass displays.

Anyway, in the 94 convert I just filled the hole with an EQ.

711554_14_full.jpg

The way I have it hooked up, it doesn't do anything except to be a pretty spectrum analyzer for the eyes to gaze at, but it looks more cool than a sticking out blank panel.

I was talking to a pioneer dealer a while back about that and he was at a Poineer show and asked them and they stated they are not going to put the updated screen into the 1.5 din because "there is no Market for them" thats what I was told..but hey get a 7" touch screen and put a computer in there insted..

Alpine has their line of 1.5 DIN cd players, but it's in the same boat as the pioneer.. They have been discontinued for years, but they were damn good units. (I have one, lol)

I think the market for 1.5 DIN is dead because no new cars come with 1.5 DIN anymore. I think GM and Chrysler were the only ones using 1.5 DIN and I know GM doesn't use it anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if Chrysler doesn't use it anymore either. Don't all the new GM's come with 2-DIN?

I know I need a new head unit, dont buy a sony! I have the same one as a friend and neither of them play CD's anymore, and its only like 2 or 3 years old.

I do like the 1.5 dins (friend has the pioneer) but I like the ones with the graphics

Alpine has their line of 1.5 DIN cd players, but it's in the same boat as the pioneer.. They have been discontinued for years, but they were damn good units. (I have one, lol)

Yep..the CDA 85x's. I have an 855 that needs a bit of factory service. I wouldn't say they're in the same boat...I think Alpine's 1.5's sound a helluva lot better than the Pioneer 1.5's.

cda_d855.jpg

I've got two DEH P75DH head units, but they both have the same problem. No sound at all. They still play cds and pick up radio stations, but that's it.

35783Deh-p75dh.jpg

I tried searching for the problem online once, but couldn't get anywhere. Anyone ever hear of a problem like that and what might be wrong? I do like the deck, although I really wish I had an mp3 player.

Guest TurboSedan

my Pioneer DEH-P77DH has been great and i've owned it for almost 5 years now. the only problem i've had with it is that the track forward button is finally wearing out. i dropped the face plate once (while drunk = my fault :roll: ) and now the singles digit in the track display doesn't light up. i also lost the remote (a gimmick anyway IMO). it still works great but lately it seems to have a problem reading certain CDRs. i don't know if the HU is just getting old or maybe it's the CDR media i'm using (or my burner?).

i think i'm going to go with a Pioneer DEH-P47DH for the Cutty. i don't care about the remote or extra audio outs. i've already removed the P77DH from the Cutty and installed it in my Lebaron, and i'd rather have the same stereo in my Cutty i guess. i'm not a big stereo buff, otherwise i'd probably do a 1 DIN with .mp3 capability + EQ.

Justin, Jess got a DEH-P47DH unit for her TGP, and it arrived with the same problem that you had. No audio output at all, and this was a refurbished unit! We had to play hell with the seller (bought on ebay) to get them to send us a sales reciept so we could send it to a local Pioneer Dealer.

The problem was the internal amplifier was defective. Don't know how much it cost since it had a warranty.

Mike, the Alpine's sound a HELL of a lot better than the Pioneers. I was blown away at the difference in SQ when I installed my CDA-D855 in the TGP, night and day difference! But, mine is also suffering from some minor issues.. Whenever the unit is jarred a loud 'pop' comes from the speakers, and when you turn the BBE processing on to anything above +1, a quiet, consistant, thumping noise can be heard. Luckily I don't drive the car much, so it doesn't annoy me and I've been thinking about selling it anyway.

Justin, let me know if you want to sell those DEH-P75DH's.

I think I can replace an internal amp chip if that's all it is.

I remember that MP3 playing Alpine. That's actually a 1-DIN with a movable 1.5-DIN faceplate. I had seriously considered that for my truck, but I didn't like that the face couldn't easily be flushmounted into the 1.5-DIN hole. It would stick out a lot. In order to flush mount it, I would have to build a custom mount that would also countersink the stereo 1" into the dash.

Has anyone else seriously considered enlarging the hole to fit a 2-DIN?

I'll do that.. It'll probably be soon. I'm gonna try untweaking my factory cd player to see if I can fix what I broke on it. :bawl:

If I can get that fixed, I'll be looking to sell the Alpine.

Guest TurboSedan

well i'm either going to buy the new Pioneer DEH-P47DH or possibly go with Alpine CDA-D855 (i need to look into that one more). i've been pretty impressed with my Pioneer though, still works and sounds fine after almost 5 years.

i'm going to buy two of them, since i want matching 1.5 DIN stereos in my GTS and Cutlass.

Josh, I can guarantee personally, you WON'T be dissapointed with the 855. I had it hooked up to a US Accoustics 4050 with Planet Audio 5 1/4's & 6X9's along with a US Accoustics 2200 and 2 12" DVD Pro Atomik's in a ported box...it hit a 139db, untuned as anything. :mrgreen:

Guest TurboSedan
Josh, I can guarantee personally, you WON'T be dissapointed with the 855.

where can i get the 855? the new Crutchfield catalog doesn't have it and one of the stereo stores in town here said it has been discontinued :?

so far i'm planning on buying two Pioneer DEH-P47DH HUs....one for my GM and the other for my Chrysler.

Ebay is about the only place you can find them.. Alpine CDA-D852, CDA-D853, CDA-D855, CDA-D857 are all the different model numbers of the Alpine 1.5 DIN recievers.. The 852, and 853 are the basic units, and the 857 is the higher end one.

Guest TurboSedan

damn that sucks :( i'm very hesitant to buy electronics off of ebay, and since i probably won't be buying the 2 HUs until summer, i doubt i'll be able to find 2 brand new Alpine 1.5 DIN HUs. i don't doubt the Alpine sounds better, but it sucks it's been discontinued. on the other hand, my Pioneer P77DH has been great the last 5 years, and i already know how to use it, so i think i'm set on the P47DH (i don't care about extra outs the P77DH has or the remote (i'm not a big stereo buff at all). i think the Pioneer matches my UB3 cluster pretty good too (not sure about the Alpine though).

the Pioneer DEH-P47DH is $250 though, which sucks because i could get a nicer 1 DIN Pioneer or Alpine HU that could play .MP3 files for that price....i'm just stuck on the 1.5 DIN size i guess. then again CDRs are so cheap and easy/fast to burn that as long as the HU can play a CDR i'll be happy.