when is it too cold to use RTV?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

ok i am just itching to install my 3.1L timing cover but it's only like 26' outside right now with an overnight low of 17'. i installed the waterpump last night and installed a new front crank seal into the timing cover. all the surfaces are nice and clean and it's 100% ready to go on. BUT is it too cold for the RTV to set correctly in this weather? after i get the timing cover bolted on i can get a ton more work done like balancer, accesories, motor mounts....

damn i need a good heater for my garage :?

i don't think it's too cold to use it, it'll just take 3 times as long to set up. I had to use RTV on a gasket about 4 years ago on the lumi, i actually changed a gasket on the roadside and used rtv, drove it home and let it sit for a few days and it hasn't leaked since.

Just use it and leave it alone for at least a few days. Oh and read the back of the tube! :D

Well.....the warmer the better...I've been quoted 30, 40, and 50....personally I think it depends on the quality of sealant and the area being sealed.

I just sealed a lower intake manifold on a 3400 this weekend......I used the grey silicone RTV from GM (GMS). It was right around 40 degrees in that garage....sat overnight and everything appeared to cure nicely.

Guest TurboSedan

thanks. i'm going to wait until later this week when it's in the 50s.

in the meantime i have some wiring harness issues to fix and figure out the wierd TGP turbo coolant supply line/oil cooler setup :bash:

thanks. i'm going to wait until later this week when it's in the 50s.

in the meantime i have some wiring harness issues to fix and figure out the wierd TGP turbo coolant supply line/oil cooler setup :bash:

I can probably find you a diagram of the motor showing the oil cooler setup, etc., etc. if you want/need it. :wink: