Anyone cut coils to lower?

Jcrow

Rather than buying lowering springs I heard you can cut your coil springs. You cut off 1/4 turn at a time until its low enough. Just wondering if anyone has done this on a W before.

You can cut some, and it will stiffen the ride.

However, W-body springs have one major issue preventing much cutting - they are tapered in shape.

I don't even think you can cut a complete coil before they won't sit in their seat anymore.

Rather than buying lowering springs I heard you can cut your coil springs. You cut off 1/4 turn at a time until its low enough. Just wondering if anyone has done this on a W before.

= the Ricer lowering method. Plan and simple; it's a hackjob.

= the Ricer lowering method. Plan and simple; it's a hackjob.

it is a hackjob, but when I did it on my Fiero, I didn't notice a poor ride and there was no "ricer bounce"...curious as to what results a w-body would provide.

Cutting is better than heating.

Basically, cutting just increases the load rating and you'll get a stiffer, harsher ride.

BUT take a look at a W-body spring and you'll see cutting isn't really an option. It would work fine for cars with cylindrically shaped springs, but ours is shaped more like a bloated Christmas tree.

Everything about these cars makes lowering a pain.

Yeah, but I wrote that before I actually pulled a spring to take a look at it. A lot of that was just theoretical.

I'll dig around and see if I can find pics of uncompressed springs. You will see you can't even chop a complete coil because it'll change the diameter of where the spring seats.